PDA

View Full Version : Is this a female Betta?

ChromeLibrarian
07-15-2007, 11:55 PM
Or can you tell by looking at it?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/huhwhat/betta1s.jpg

MeganL3985
07-16-2007, 12:10 AM
Looks like a female....the fins are short. I have no experience with bettas, but I hear the males have the longer ones and females are shorter and something about males having a "beard"? Also most females are lighter in color, but some can have darker coloring like a male.

Take all this with a grain of salt though, I've only been researching betta's now for a few weeks! Sorry I can't help more! :)

salman
07-16-2007, 12:34 AM
Yes, this is a female. One way you can tell as Megan is by the fins, Males have longer fins

Rue
07-16-2007, 12:35 AM
Looks more like a plakat than a female...

This is my boy!

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q152/Rue_album/PlakatIISnail0607.jpg

Betta_noob
07-16-2007, 02:08 PM
Yes, we need to all remember that the old standback: Boys have long fins and girls don't is not a good mantra considering the "original" bettas the Plakat Fighters ALL have short fins.
The way to make sure it is a female is check underneath by where you think the fish's belly would be. There should be a little white dot. This is called the oviposter where the eggs come out.

Rue
07-16-2007, 02:33 PM
...I went to look at my girls...and my big females look a lot like my plakat male...

One thing I noticed...but I don't know if it will hold true...is that my plakat male has longer pelvic fins than my females (not sure what 'kind' the girls are)...

lickmanoman
07-26-2007, 01:54 AM
That is an exceptional fish if it is indeed a female. Be careful if you are going to spawn it, to me it appears to be a female but check for the white speck on the underside of the fish.Thats one surefire way,secondly try this place it in a jar next to one of you're males. Over sometime check to see if there are any vertical barring along the body of the fish,as this is a sign that a female is ready to spawn. Bear in mind wild type male fighters have short fins and are easilly confused with the females.