PDA

View Full Version : Some dumb questions

cideon
03-30-2011, 04:49 PM
Wish to set up a pond outside for my 3 comet goldfish (currently in a 40 breeder gal) that are about 4-5 inches big right now. My plan (still planning) involves using those big concrete blocks for the shape (above ground), play sand inside to be a cushion, and the simple sheet-like liner (aiming for 100 or so gallons, but maybe will come out to 200 since size-wise, it's not gonna be THAT much more money just to start bigger). Probably no live plants, and I live in the southwest where usually it gets to only 40-50 at night in winter, but not that often (I figure I could get away with no heater? Or only a moderate one?)

Mainly I'm wondering how do I handle the cords? Is there a heavy duty power strip, or will the two outlet outside be enough? I assume I have to do at least like a leaning piece of wood to help keep the outlet dry when it rains.

And how do I go about growing BB? Would the fishless method be the best bet? Or is there something i can put in my simple fish tank filters and transfer over? I have a sponge filter running right now in the 40 in addition to two HOB filters, should I get 2-3 more sponge filters and then just stick them when I move the fish in for a while until there's a good colony on the pond filter media?

I have tried to research online, but I just can't seem to find a lot of answers to small details, only the big stuff. Can anyone recommend a good book or two on starting out? I am worried that this pond business will end up being too difficult to start and/or manage, and that I will have to get rid of my goldfish. I had gotten a used tank with them, and was planning to get rid of them to start with, but I have grown attached. So I would be sad at this point to say goodbye :(

jetajockey
03-31-2011, 10:05 AM
I recently set up a small pond myself. I went the easy route and got a preformed pond. I see them on craigslist quite frequently.

Goldfish don't need a heater, unless you foresee the pond freezing.

As far as filtration goes, there is a solar powered pump you can get that would work, and save from using extension cords. I'm running an airline from my fishroom with a sponge filter. Some ponds have no aeration at all, and they do fine, although they tend to be algae magnets, and not the ideal conditions for the fish to be in.

As far as cycling it goes, I'd just stock it with some plants and let er rip.

If you aren't going with plants, then just do some filter squeezings into the pond to get the bacteria colony a kickstart and you can do the fishless thing if you really want.

All in all I suggest looking into a preformed pond if at all possible, it simplifies the process greatly.

cideon
04-01-2011, 03:34 PM
Though it might come out cheaper for my size planned (just barely) to get concrete blocks and the sheet liner, it would be physically easier to just buy the liner like you suggest I suppose. Can the preformed liner just be left out and filled with water? Should I get some blocks to support the 'lip' area where you can use to put plants?

No freeezing here, so I'll just be careful to do the winter feeding thing I've seen :) And a solar pump sounds absoultely wonderful! We're called 'the sun city' and according to the stats, number 302 days of sunshine XD Do you have a notion of where i might find such a pump?

Thanks for all the advice!

jetajockey
04-01-2011, 08:25 PM
Not sure. Our pond is fairly small, so I didn't reinforce it with anything besides packing the dirt in really well. I also ran the hose on the perimeter of the pond for a few hours and it moved the dirt down into any gaps.

I dont have any experience with larger ones.

Just do a google search for solar powered pond filters, it will pop up quite a few options. It definitely makes things easier if you don't have to run wires everywhere.

cideon
04-01-2011, 11:12 PM
So you packed dirt around it, or buried it and just packed well? I wanted to keep mine above ground, you see :3

jetajockey
04-02-2011, 03:00 PM
I totally forgot about that part. You might be better off using a regular liner since you'll have to reinforce around it anyway.