PDA

View Full Version : Will these live plants do good in my tank?

lacysmom
03-30-2011, 02:46 AM
Money wort, Micro sword, Anubias nana, Brazilian pennywort

The tank is a heated and filtered 5 gallon with 5,000k fluorescent light and betta fish.
So will these plants be ok? If yes, how many of each one should I get?

Also, what substrate should I use and do I need fertilizer?

mikeDUDS
03-30-2011, 07:00 PM
Before anyone can fully answer you need to answer a couple more questions.

A) What is the wattage output of you light?
B) is it a strip or compound fluorescent? (Im guessing cfl for a tank that size)

I believe your flora are all considered low light. I have a similar 5.5 setup with 13 watts cfl lighting and my plants seem to be doing well. Planting substrate such as flourite, or eco-complete would be beneficial but not required. A dose of liquid ferts following the product would also help them green up. Also, bump up to a 6500k daylight bulb if you can as it more precisely simulates natural daylight.

Plant to taste. If you heavily plant (little substrate visible from above) I'd definitely recommend using a plant substrate.

I'm pretty new to this myself. Some more experienced members may be able to elaborate further.

Cheers!
Duds

korith
03-30-2011, 09:16 PM
Money wort, Micro sword, Anubias nana, Brazilian pennywort

The tank is a heated and filtered 5 gallon with 5,000k fluorescent light and betta fish.
So will these plants be ok? If yes, how many of each one should I get?

Also, what substrate should I use and do I need fertilizer?

You can look up lighting requirements of various plants on http://plantgeek.net/plantguide.php Depending on many watts your light is I think most of the plants should be fine in your tank. For substrate ecocomplete or another soil type substrate would work well. Would provide nutrients for the plants. Also you may want to use fertilizer tablets in the tank as well. You'll have to keep the moneywort and pennywort in check, they grow fairly quick. How many you want to plant depends on you. The microsword you can spread out and let it grow in. The anubias is a fairly slow grower. You'll want to stick around 6500k spectrum range for plants. A