PDA

View Full Version : Good site to buy plants

scottcjag
03-29-2011, 03:04 AM
Anybody know of a good site to buy plants online? Stores in my area seem to have a pretty limited selection. Also, is it OK to add a bunch of plants at once, or should I space it out like adding fish? As you can tell, I'm very new to the plant thing, but now that I've added a few, I just want more! :18:

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-29-2011, 03:06 AM
www.aquariumplants.com

I have ordered from them a few times and I love the quality of everything they sent.
you can fully plant your tank from the very beginning. It's actually a bit easier to do that.

TypeYourTextHere
03-29-2011, 03:06 AM
Have you been to mission pet mart yet? they have a decent selection.

Goes to 11!
03-29-2011, 03:10 AM
Adding a bunch at once is fine, I have not bought from either of these places but I intend to. Hopefully soon.

http://www.aquariumplants.com/Default.asp?Redirected=Y

http://www.bayleesfishees.com/store/index.php

Sirex
03-29-2011, 03:18 AM
+2 on aquariumplants.com

I bought all of my plants from them. I did not have any perish. Below is my tank.

They have great service and they will help you pick out the proper plants for your tank.

The guys and gals on here know a lot about plants try the plant section of the forum.

Good luck!

scottcjag
03-29-2011, 03:23 AM
@Type
I haven't been to mission pet mart since I decided to start planting my tank. I'll check them out this week sometime. Have you been to petland on santa fe? I'll never buy another living thing from that place! I've bought fish there twice, and they always get sick (both times they had ich, so I took them back and got a refund). They always have lots of dead fish in their tanks too.
I'll check those sites too.

scottcjag
03-29-2011, 03:25 AM
Thats a nice looking tank Sirex. Good to see another KS person on here!

Sirex
03-29-2011, 03:32 AM
I Live in Gardner

scottcjag
03-29-2011, 03:34 AM
I just moved to Olathe from Lawrence a month ago for a job.

TypeYourTextHere
03-29-2011, 03:42 AM
I just moved to Olathe from Lawrence a month ago for a job.

Not to beat a dead horse, but mission pet mart really is a great place. It has been owned by the same guy for like 40 years and he knows his stuff

http://classic.mapquest.com/maps?city=Mission&state=KS&cat=mission+petmart&country=US&latitude=39.027802&longitude=-94.655602&geocode=CITY#b/maps/m:map:10:39.020575:-94.664713::::::1:1:::::::::/l:::Mission:KS::US:39.027802:-94.655602:city:Johnson+County:1:mission+pet+mart::/io:1:::::f:no::::/so:mission+pet+mart:::r::25::::/bl:/e

scottcjag
03-29-2011, 03:50 AM
I went to Mission pet mart about a year ago when I was in the area just to check it out, and I wanted to pick up a few Cardinal Tetras too since Pet world in Lawrence didnt have any at the time. I talked to the owner, and he is a wealth of information! I ended up being there for about half an hour discussing my tank with him, and I left with a few Cardinals. I went there a month ago, right when I moved here, and I will probably be buying most of my fish there. A little more pricey, but that guy really takes care of his stuff, and he wont sell fish that he just got in without quarantining them first. I'll be sure to check it out later this week, as I'm broke now but get my first check from my new job on Wednesday! thumbs2:

TypeYourTextHere
03-29-2011, 03:51 AM
yeah, that is where i got my 75 gallon from last week.

Ticklemekevin10
03-29-2011, 03:52 AM
All these kansas folk! Exactly why there should be a local section! Haha

Pm'd you by the way

gm72
03-29-2011, 10:24 AM
I have ordered plants from the eBay seller that is located in Malaysia. While you might think you'd end up getting crap I've had great luck with them. Their selection is largely limited to mosses, crypts, and anubias though.

Lady Hobbs
03-29-2011, 03:01 PM
mikeswetpets on Ebay is where I've bought most of mine.

Shipping is like $6.50 and .50 more for each plant added to the order.

jojohendo
03-29-2011, 05:36 PM
:19: I have been so happy with Aquariumplants.com. I'm not a very experienced aquariumist and they have been so helpful and patient with my silly questions. Every order I've placed has been great.

geowashlaw
03-29-2011, 07:44 PM
aquariumplants.com is a good place, but most of what I have ever received from them is small and you have to wait for it to grow; I also like Arizona Aquatic Gardens, www.azgardens.com. I have found that AAG generally ships larger specimens than aquariumplants.com, for a more instant gratification!

Goes to 11!
03-29-2011, 08:52 PM
I forgot to mention:

Before ordering [perhaps even before hitting their site] I would HIGHLY recommend that you check online for the reviews of the place to see what previous customers think.

It will get you more than the reviews they post on their own website.

Do yourself a favor & Google it as '[place name] reviews', You can learn a lot.

korith
03-29-2011, 11:28 PM
Two alternatives to stores. I would check to see if there are any local fish clubs in your area. That'll be your best and cheapest source of plants.
Also one forum I've had great luck with finding plants I've been looking for is on plantedtank.net, there is a buy/sell area there, just hobbyists selling stuff/trading stuff.

scottcjag
03-29-2011, 11:43 PM
Ok, now that I have some places to buy plants, I just have a quick light question. I have a single 48" t 12, 40 watt, "daylight" bulb on my tank. Is this enough for most low to moderate light plants? I have a 55 gallon, so the water is about 21" deep.

geowashlaw
03-30-2011, 12:43 AM
That's less than 1 wpg of t12 light, which is less efficient than t8 or t5; i'd stick to low light plants if I were you. The wpg rule is generally just a rule of thumb and the more efficient your lighting gets, the farther from reality it is, but it was developed for t12 lighting (I think). So, it's probably useful for you. You can easily bump your light output with strip lights from Home Depot or Lowes, etc. I'm using an aquaponics light on mine ... they are much, much cheaper. You just have to keep them away from the water because they are not waterproof.

Orange Crush
03-30-2011, 09:03 AM
Make sure that your bulbs are "full spectrum". I have read before that the lights sold at hardware stores are not adaquate for aquariums, especially planted ones. Your best bet is to buy lighting at a LFS or an online aquarium dealer.

King XII
04-04-2011, 04:24 AM
My Hobby is Gardening. I am curious to Buy new Plant i contact with you soon Dear.

Ticklemekevin10
04-04-2011, 06:30 AM
Also one forum I've had great luck with finding plants I've been looking for is on plantedtank.net, there is a buy/sell area there, just hobbyists selling stuff/trading stuff.

That's where I get all mine! Great deals on that forum and TONS of sellers.

I have some hornwort to sell too btw. What are you wanting?