PDA

View Full Version : reason to quarantine shrimp?

Stlouisfish
03-28-2011, 06:33 PM
I'm hoping to get some amano shrimp at Petco - they had some nice big ones there - do they do better in a planted tank (I'm still working on getting more plants) and can I just slowly acclimate them to my main tank or do they need to be quarantined?

Goes to 11!
03-28-2011, 07:47 PM
Ooh, I am jealous. They are nowhere to be seen around here.

Amanos LOVE a planted tank [They will pick at the fake ones too, No worries]

Coming from Petco, I would def give them a week+ in QT.

Not so much because the shrimp themselves may have anything, But you never know what hitchhikers came along from the system at petco & you may want to give that possibility a chance to die off.

It could be for nothing but... 10 days in QT might save a big headache later.

Have you checked out the tanks of the guy they are named after?

Takashi Amano:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adDeLAdWnHM

Stlouisfish
03-29-2011, 11:52 AM
OK - here's the question - if I quarantine a few shrimp, what are they gonna do in a bare bottomed (except for a fake plant or 2) QT for 10 days? And what do I feed them?

Lady Hobbs
03-29-2011, 01:20 PM
Never had amano, just cherry shrimp. I just tossed them in my tank.

mermaidwannabe
03-29-2011, 02:14 PM
Will amano shrimp do well in a coldwater tank? Are they compatible with Red Cherry Shrimp, and will they bother my dojos? How big do they get? Are they even a freshwater shrimp?

-- mermaidwannabe

Stlouisfish
03-29-2011, 02:42 PM
Will amano shrimp do well in a coldwater tank? Are they compatible with Red Cherry Shrimp, and will they bother my dojos? How big do they get? Are they even a freshwater shrimp?

-- mermaidwannabe
I just googled these shrimp - freshaquaria.com says they tolerate temps between 60-80 - the only threat they pose to other shrimp apparently is stealing the food of smaller shrimp - they grow between 1-2in. I liked them because I haven't been able to find ghost shrimp but I think ghost shrimp would quickly become lunch for my danios & black skirts.

Goes to 11!
03-29-2011, 03:12 PM
OK - here's the question - if I quarantine a few shrimp, what are they gonna do in a bare bottomed (except for a fake plant or 2) QT for 10 days? And what do I feed them?
Good question & one I should have addressed lol. They are scavengers so they will eat pretty much anything they can. Every other day I would break a sinking algae wafer into several pieces so everybody gets some & there's none left over [Amount dependent on how many you have naturally].

Initially I would WAY underfeed because it's easier to adjust up than clean up.

mermaidwannabe
03-29-2011, 05:50 PM
Thanks, andrea. I'll further research them myself, but from what you posted, it sounds like they would thrive in my tank. The water temperature stays consistent between 65 and 68 degrees F.

They don't sound like they're aggressive or predatory, so dojos are probably safe, and they grow too large for my current stock to eat them. Goldfish might be a different matter, and they'll be residing in my 65-gallon.

Neither of my LFS sell ghost shrimp, so maybe I can get them some amanos from them, instead. Or order from F&S? A few in my 20-gallon-high along with the Red Cherries shouldn't increase the bioload that much ....

-- mermaid