PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Bristlenoses

waack
03-28-2011, 09:09 AM
Ok so i separated my bristlesnoses into my two tanks a while ago so each could clean up the small amount of algae in each. I knew they were opposite sex as one has no bristles and the other has a nice beard. Two days ago i put the male in the females tank as i have plans for his tank and today the female had an extremely sunken stomache and the male is territorial and moving fins like crazy, after research and observation i have learnt that more then likely eggs have been laid.

my question in the tank there is about 30 5 month old krib fry which are soon to go, a pair of kribs and 2 juvie red forest jewels, any chance of hatching fry survival ?

rich311k
03-28-2011, 11:04 AM
I would imagine most will be eaten. An extra clever one or two might make it.

waack
03-28-2011, 11:32 AM
I thought that would probably be the caseno matter anyone know how long until they try again I might try and be prepared if I can

toddnbecka
03-28-2011, 05:45 PM
You can hatch the eggs in a net breeder if you want to save the BN fry. Otherwise, if the female is fed well enough likely 5-6 weeks before she'll be ready to spawn again.

bertie
03-28-2011, 10:08 PM
I've managed once to get my bn into laying eggs. Only found out there was eggs when I cleaned out the tank after my x and I broke up and I moved. It's been about 4 months since The tank has been running and still can't seem to get them to lay again.

So I guess best bet if you want to breed them is to set up a breeding tank for them and move them over. Lots of bloodworms seems to get them into good shape. Otherwise just leave them and be surprised when you see a few small bn's on the glass!

waack
04-07-2011, 01:29 PM
so i was lucky enough to be home when the eggs hatched. I watched wat happened a few snuck out while dad wasnt looking and sure enough snapped up by mother krib. So cause i was home and had some free time i set up my much smaller tank, got the water temp right (make sure heater was working) then drained the tank and filled it with water from their tank, caught as many as i could and moved them to the tank with dad and the air operated corner filter i was have on standby, so far so good about 20 have finished eating their egg sacks and are all over the tank? anyone know if they can jump? and they all seem to be hanging around the top of the tank any particular reason?

Ticklemekevin10
04-07-2011, 02:30 PM
Bring out the cigars!

toddnbecka
04-07-2011, 05:42 PM
BN don't jump, but do like to swim "upstream" if there's a hob filter on the tank, and don't always make the return trip. I've found a couple dried out on the glass covers. If they're hanging around the surface the O2 may be low in the water, increase the circulation.

Cascade
04-07-2011, 05:48 PM
... caught as many as i could and moved them to the tank with dad and the air operated corner filter i was have on standby, so far so good about 20 have finished eating their egg sacks and are all over the tank? ...and they all seem to be hanging around the top of the tank any particular reason?

Do plecos not eat their young? I thought most fish did, with the exception of cichlids. If they do, that might be why they are hanging out at the top, out of reach. If not, then I learned something! :ssmile:

toddnbecka
04-07-2011, 05:50 PM
Pleco's won't eat their own fry, BN won't bother any at all. Some of the carnivorous species may be a different matter, at least toward fry other than their own.

Cascade
04-07-2011, 05:57 PM
Very interesting- I just sort of assumed all would. Thanks for the info!

waack
04-08-2011, 12:56 AM
Nup they definitely don't some of the fry are on the dad some even near his mouth lol

waack
04-11-2011, 11:22 AM
had a rather large die off bit disheartened but maybe next time will be better im working on getting a 2ft tank for them to breed in so i dont have to move the eggs around next time

toddnbecka
04-11-2011, 05:43 PM
It's difficult to feed the fry enough and still maintain the water quality. That's why I have large masses of fast-growing floating plants like Najas or hornwort and duckweed in my breeding and growout tanks.

waack
04-12-2011, 06:56 AM
I know what you mean, im working on growing some algae on rocks so that the next spawn/ any that survive will have immediate food source and also it would be relatively clean i would expect