PDA

View Full Version : convict breeding

tieu
05-04-2006, 10:50 AM
i have 9 black convicts in one tank for about two years. i dont know why but they are really scared each time someone goes near the tank. they all run away and hide is this how they react? and also can they breed if theres 9 of them? if not how do i know a male from a female so i can take two out and put them into a sepearte tank to breed. 2 years and they havent bred. my friends say they breed like crazy but i dont know.

rollie
05-04-2006, 11:45 AM
the females have the redder belly plus the males top back fin is more pointed, than the females
it sound like you only got one sex.
they should not be that scared.
would have better luck if put a pair by themselves
they spawn like mad.

William
05-04-2006, 09:17 PM
I have to agree. IF you had both sexes they would most likely have spawned even if there are 9 of them in a tank. I have seen them spawn in small tanks with a 100 of them.

Do you have any rock or anything else in the tank they could spawn on?

tieu
05-05-2006, 05:40 AM
they use to have rocks but i took them out like a year ago because i was geting pissed because they kept diging and the fake plants kept floating around. when i had rocks. no 1 could ever see them. each time you come near the tank the would run into their rocks and hide. visitors looked in the tank and said theres no fish ther. thats why i decided to take all the big rocks out. without rocks when i come near the tank they move really quickly into the corners and behind the pump. these fish are so annying and scared. i thought balck convicts were supposed to be strong and tough, reading from other peoples forums.

Full3R
05-05-2006, 06:04 AM
well they are frantic but also if there are numerous hiding spots they wont hide as much because they no that they have a place to hide so put lots of hiding places in there that way they will only hide when they know for sure there in danger and the reason they would have been digging would've been trying to breed

William
05-05-2006, 07:01 AM
Give them atleast one rock. If you have a pair they will dig under the rock and breed there. They normally breed on top of a rock but when there are a lot of fish and a lot o convicts in a tank they often spawn under a rock instead.

rollie
05-05-2006, 09:54 AM
if they are that scare, there something wrong. 1 got over 100 and they not scare, of anything.

tieu
05-06-2006, 04:10 AM
after reading all this i decided to put back the rocks i took out. it is very interesting to watch the black convicts fight and dig holes but as soon i come a little close they run around and try to hide. have to be like at least 1 m away to watch its so annoying. how do u know if they are breeding under the rocks do u just take the rocks out and check? and what do i do if there are eggs? with 9 convicts in the tank would the others eat them?

tieu
05-07-2006, 12:16 AM
hmmm. the convicts i have havent eaten in 5 days and they still look strong ive been feeding them tropical fish flakes but they wont eat them and then the pump just sucks it in. is it normal that these fish dont eat? or are they sick they look really healthy though

rollie
05-07-2006, 12:35 AM
i do not know, what to say. i feed my 4 or 5 times a day. i can put my hand in the tank and they try to nibble it. are they in an area with alot of peoples? they can go quite a while with out eating. are you feeding to must? they should not be scare, all the time.

tieu
05-07-2006, 01:04 AM
they are scared when i walk near them. but when i sit down and then after a minute or so they come out and start chasing each other and fighting, but they never seem to eat the flakes. is there anything else i can feed them? males have really dark black stripes rite? while the females have only a light black.

rollie
05-07-2006, 01:12 AM
try freeze dried tubifex worms or a type of pellets.

William
05-07-2006, 02:31 AM
Are there any other fish in the tank?

tieu
05-07-2006, 08:20 AM
nah just the convicts.

the last picture is a female rite and the picture with the convict hiding under the rock is a male rite. males are more darker?
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/tieufish.jpg
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/tieufish2.jpg
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/tieufish3.jpg
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/tieufish4.jpg

William
05-07-2006, 09:00 AM
No. Female and males are equally dark. Females are however redish on the belly and have a rounder top fin. I don't se any sure females on your picture.

The brighter ones (or atleast the closeup) looks like some kind of hybrids of convict and something else.

sorry for bringing bad news.

Full3R
05-07-2006, 09:06 AM
Hey William could you try and get a picture of a female coz mine have slight red but not sure

rollie
05-07-2006, 10:05 AM
they look like all males to me. could be hybrids, but do not tkink so, they are working on more color as we speak. there are white ones to, and these looks like they got some white in them, at least to me.

William
05-07-2006, 11:56 AM
Yes there are a number of color versions such as pink and white and it is possible that its only a mix of different colors/strains.

William
05-07-2006, 11:58 AM
Full3R.
Check the topic below for female pictures. The first 4 pictures are of a female.

Female convict pictures topic (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ftopic-710-days0-orderasc-0.html)

Full3R
05-07-2006, 01:01 PM
i have one which has yellow and aqua on its fins and a small lightish red also known as pink in the spot of those pics you showed

tieu
05-08-2006, 12:37 AM
dammit i thought that the darker ones were the males and the light one were the females. cause ive seen that 2 pairs have dug holes under the rock so far and they are protecting their hole. the darker convicts seem to be more aggresive and the lighter ones are more friendly. i have noticed that there are two pairs and the lighter one has been in the "cave" while the darker one is outside protecting, chasing other convicts which are coming near. if their all males what does this mean then?

rollie
05-08-2006, 01:30 AM
that could mean anything.

William
05-08-2006, 03:25 AM
Full3R than that might/should be a female.

Full3R
05-08-2006, 11:43 AM
i see, thanx william ill add more spots for them to hide and see what happens

Full3R
05-08-2006, 06:25 PM
the one which i said i thought was the female is inside the skull and is guarding newly layed eggs at the ready the male kind hides in the other ceramic cave when i put a light on them but he swims around the skull constantly when the light is off if the eggs are fertile and assuming the eggs where hatched today how long will it take till they hatch and then how long till i can seperate them?

William
05-09-2006, 03:25 AM
I wouldn't seperate them. Gove your fish a chance to try and care for the fry themself. If they fail they will spawn again in a few weeks and you can seperate the fry than. But that just me. If you want to seperate them you can do it as soon as the fry are free swimming but you should leave some with the parents.

You can expect the fry to be free swimming 7-10 days after the eggs are laid.

tieu
05-09-2006, 05:33 AM
hmmm wat temperature does the tank need to be in order for breeding to suceed? should i check under the rocks for eggs or not? eggs are white rite?

William
05-09-2006, 08:18 AM
The eggs are yellowish to brown. (white eggs are usually unfertilized and/or attacked by fungus.

The breed in all tropical temperatures

tieu
05-09-2006, 12:39 PM
ahhh ks koool thanx a lot william. u rock :D

Full3R
05-10-2006, 09:19 AM
my eggs hatched. well atleast they look like they have they have lil tails and are riggling around the cave

tieu
05-10-2006, 10:22 AM
awww. can u post sum pics so i can see. :D

William
05-10-2006, 11:16 AM
Jupp. Than your eggs hatched and you will have free swiiming fry in a few days. Might be time to get some fry food and start hatching brine shrimp if you want to feed them that.

Have you decided if you will let the parents try to keep them or if you are going to remove the fry?

tieu
05-17-2006, 07:45 AM
pictures in page two are black convicts rite?

Full3R
05-17-2006, 08:44 AM
the dad got violent towards the mum so hes seperated and the mum is still with the babies and shes doing fine with them, the baies always skool together is it harder to get females then males?

William
05-17-2006, 04:45 PM
No. It is easy to find both males and females

Tieu: Click below to find pictures of a male and female black convict.
Black convict cichlid (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/encyclopedia-298.html)