PDA

View Full Version : I can't keep Anarcharis alive

nmb7895
03-27-2011, 06:27 PM
Err... they're suppose to be one of the hardiest, easy to care for aquarium plants, yet I only have bunch left after buying 3.

I had them floating, and anchored to the side with a suction cup. Eventually they started to die and melted away from the anchor and became free floating. I left them like that, since they ended up settling where I wanted it anyway. After another week, two of the bunches were totally gone and I had to remove them.

I'm not left with 1 stem. I slightly buried it in the substrate, and it's been doing okay there for the last week or so, but it doesn't have any new growth. It's just kind of existing.

I have ultra-low light, but I manage to keep various other plants healthy and with ample new growth. Stuff like Hornwort, Water Sprite, Anubias and Sword plants do just fine, while this Anacharis seems to just die off.

Would there be any reason Anarcharis would die, but not any other plant?

dbosman
03-27-2011, 06:45 PM
Your water is too warm for it.

nmb7895
03-27-2011, 06:51 PM
Your water is too warm for it.
Wow... probably.
It's 78, because of my Betta.

I never would have thought that plants need a temperature.

I also secured it right next to my heater lol.

Fizgig
11-07-2011, 03:04 AM
I feel your pain... That's one of my idiot-proof plants that I can't keep alive no matter what I do. For me it's just a me thing, not temp... LOL

Cosmo23
11-07-2011, 04:09 AM
I also have my temp at 78f, and I have the same issues. All the ones that I tried to plant in the substrate, eventually end up floating. I got tired of seeing them floating in my 55g, so I tossed them into the 29g and they can float there :).

Fishkeeper
11-14-2011, 01:48 AM
You DON'T want that stuff! I had some (read LOTS) in my 20, and I had to take the tank apart to get rid of it! Before I removed it I couldn't see my fish half the time!:ssuprised: