PDA

View Full Version : Java Fern Question

DylanisHawttt
03-27-2011, 01:37 AM
I'm thinking about adding some Java Fern (Microsorum pteropus) to my cycled 10g.

Some questions I have:
What is the best method for attaching Java Fern to my piece of driftwood? I know brhino has said in previous threads he uses fishing line to fasten his plants to caves/driftwood, etc. so I was wondering if this is the best way to go.

The lighting I have for my tank... The hood I have has 2 incandescent lightbulbs. Would this be sufficient for Java Fern or would I need to get a new hood + light?

My current substrate is pool filter sand with a pvc tunnel in the middle of the tank. If that helps any.

Thanks in advance!

Cliff
03-27-2011, 01:50 AM
What type of bulbs do you have ?

Java firn is a low light plant, so as long as you have two good quality 6700 K bulbs you should be fine

I've always used fishing line to attach Java fern to drift wood as it is easy to use.

DylanisHawttt
03-27-2011, 01:55 AM
They are literally bulbs that say "Pre-tested 15W/120v Incandescent Aquarium Clear Light Bulb Twin Pack. Brightens aquarium and intensifies fish and plant colors." It doesn't say anything like my Aqua-glo T8 bulb does, that's 18000k.

Strider199
03-27-2011, 02:04 AM
I also use 4lb fishing line. It's really amazing how it blends into the back ground. I use fishing line on my Java fern and Java moss which is attached to slate and driftwood. Java fern doesn't like too much light as Cliff says. It goes kinda black at the tips when you have too much light I found out so I moved mine to a less light spot in the tank.

DylanisHawttt
03-27-2011, 03:41 AM
So it would almost be better with lights that dont have enough wpg?

dbosman
03-27-2011, 06:59 PM
To attach the rhizome to wood or stone, use gel type super glue, small rubber bands, or thread. What ever works.

For your incandescent hood, two 23 watt daylight (now smaller than ever) spiral compact bulbs will be great lighting for a 10g. Typically the brand will be Sylvania.

dbosman
03-27-2011, 07:01 PM
So it would almost be better with lights that dont have enough wpg?

Watts per gallon is useless for anything other than old T12 and old T8 bulbs running off a magnetic ballast over a twelve inch deep tank.

DylanisHawttt
03-27-2011, 07:07 PM
In English please? Wpg only applies to certain older bulbs?

Brhino
03-27-2011, 07:17 PM
Watts are a measure of electrical power. Every light converts electrical power to optical power, but the efficiency varies, so comparing different types of bulbs by their electrical wattage doesn't tell you much. So, the "watts" part of WPG is a bit suspect.

Gallons are of course a unit of volume but when you're talking about getting light to your plants it's the distance through the water you're concerned about. Tanks come in a variety of heights, so the relationship between gallons and distance from light to plant is not constant. So, the "gallons" part of WPG is a bit suspect too.

So, Watts per Gallon is only a useful number when you're using the type of bulb (T8 or T12 fluorescents) and the depth of the tank that the "rule" was intended for. That's the long version of what dbosman is saying.

DylanisHawttt
03-27-2011, 09:12 PM
Oh ok, thanks brhino. I'll get on my computer and post a picture of my tank. Im still kind of on the fence about whether or not my tank can successful house a java fern lol. I know they're extremely easy but I just want to make sure :ssmile:

DylanisHawttt
03-27-2011, 11:47 PM
Here's what my tank currently looks like. I would love to put some live plants in here to help with waste and excess food.

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/1997/10g.png (http://img707.imageshack.us/i/10g.png/)

Brhino
03-27-2011, 11:49 PM
I would say, give it a try and see what happens.

DylanisHawttt
03-27-2011, 11:56 PM
Alright I might just do that. Where do you think would be a good place to put it? I want to put it somewhere on my driftwood but there really isn't a good holding for the plant to take hold of so I was looking into the sand. I got a couple spots picked out but I just wanted a second opinion.

If it helps any, the tank gets low light from the window that's at the front/back of my room. Depending on which way you call the front.

Brhino
03-28-2011, 12:53 AM
you don't want the rhizome in the sand. I'd suggest putting it on the driftwood, anchoring it by wrapping fishing line around it.

DylanisHawttt
03-28-2011, 01:06 AM
Alright then, I've read on some plant sites that when you plant plants with rhizomes you should leave the rhizomes at the top of the substrate. Is this true? Or are you telling me from experience? I'm not trying to deny what you're telling me just trying to get a better understanding. Also, wouldn't I need a decent crevice for the roots to go into to take hold?

Brhino
03-28-2011, 01:15 AM
you can do anything but bury them in the substrate. So if you can put them just above the substrate, with the roots going into it, that should be fine. If you put it on an object, that will be fine too and the roots will eventually run around the object and in.

From personal experience I have tied java ferns and anubias to rocks, wood, and artificial decorations, and it's all worked out so far. I haven't tried just above the substrate.

Strider199
03-28-2011, 01:22 AM
I have tried tying to driftwood and planting so the rhizome is just above the substrate. Both work. I would plant the java fern just right of that red plastic plant to the right. Of course removing the red plant. I replaced my plastic plants one by one when I purchased the live variety. It's alot of fun to watch your tank go from artificial to real. Have a blast and dont forget to buy some fertilizer for your new additions.

DylanisHawttt
03-28-2011, 11:10 AM
From personal experience I have tied java ferns and anubias to rocks, wood, and artificial decorations, and it's all worked out so far.

I figured you were the best person to ask about this because I can remember going through your tank journals and just going, "how does he get it to stay?" lol.

Both work. I would plant the java fern just right of that red plastic plant to the right. Of course removing the red plant.

I was thinking of putting it in the crack of the wood as well. I think when I get out of school today I'm going to order me a Java fern thumbs2:

Thanks guys!