PDA

View Full Version : help my pleco is dying

shirogeibu
03-25-2011, 01:45 AM
I havent seen my pleco for a while, his favorite spot is under a big rock in my 120 gallon aquarium. I recently removed the rock since my turtle (I have an alligator snapping turtle in the tank) doesnt like it as a basking area. anyways, I just saw the pleco today and noticed one of his fins looked decayed. then on closer inspection tonight, I realized hes in trouble. All of his fins are decayed and he has white slimy/patchy areas all over him and he is barely trying to move when i touch him with my net. I dont want to lose him Ive had him from the first tank I had. This is the fourth day Ive used melafix, and that was for one of my koi that had scrapes from jumping out of the water all the time. I dont think it would be related, but I dont know Ive never used melafix. It sure seemed to work wonders for my koi.

http://img713.imageshack.us/i/cimg1039y.jpg/

simonyee
03-25-2011, 01:56 AM
I havent seen my pleco for a while, his favorite spot is under a big rock in my 120 gallon aquarium. I recently removed the rock since my turtle (I have an alligator snapping turtle in the tank) doesnt like it as a basking area. anyways, I just saw the pleco today and noticed one of his fins looked decayed. then on closer inspection tonight, I realized hes in trouble. All of his fins are decayed and he has white slimy/patchy areas all over him and he is barely trying to move when i touch him with my net. I dont want to lose him Ive had him from the first tank I had. This is the fourth day Ive used melafix, and that was for one of my koi that had scrapes from jumping out of the water all the time. I dont think it would be related, but I dont know Ive never used melafix. It sure seemed to work wonders for my koi.

http://img713.imageshack.us/i/cimg1039y.jpg/

check your water quality then try to use a bit of salt.

shirogeibu
03-25-2011, 02:08 AM
check your water quality then try to use a bit of salt.
water quality is actually as good as ive ever seen it, including nitrates and nitrites, but i cant test ammonia. shouldnt be a problem since i use a trickle filter. how much salt should i use for a 120 gallon aquarium? will it harm the turtle? I do have a cycled 20 gallon empty aquarium i could put the turtle over there temporarily.

KatzeSlaugen
03-25-2011, 02:28 AM
i wouldnt recommended treating with salt just to treat with something. if water quality is good then my guess is the turtle trying to get at the pleco.

truth is turtles and fish dont mix well, and thats doubly true for an alligator snapping turtle. no matter how big the pleco is sooner or later it will end up as a fish dinner for your turtle.

Lady Hobbs
03-25-2011, 02:35 AM
I wouldn't keep a turtle in a fish tank anyway. Turtles eat fish for one thing and for another they need to get up on land as well as in the water.

shirogeibu
03-25-2011, 02:55 AM
yeah i know that im asking for trouble having a turtle and fish, and im willing to accept fish loss due to his appetite, but i dont like to see my fish slowly suffer and die due to desease. actually i was watching and the turtle was checking out my pleco on the bottom, and he seemed totally uninterested even though i havent fed him since this morning. i originally assumed that the turtle had gone after him, but that doesnt really explain the white patches.

thanks for the replies btw

KatzeSlaugen
03-25-2011, 03:12 AM
if he tried going after him and nipped him or graved him trying to bite him it could scape your pleco. the scape might have gotten a fungal infection

shirogeibu
03-25-2011, 03:25 AM
if he tried going after him and nipped him or graved him trying to bite him it could scape your pleco. the scape might have gotten a fungal infection
I guess I could see that happening. I didnt see any bite marks but I imagine it wouldnt take much to create an infection or something. I guess the best I can do (since im out of melafix) is to wait it out. poor thing. maybe i can run to petsmart tomorrow and grab some more antibacterial stuff.

William
03-25-2011, 04:45 AM
I would never suggest salt for a catfish like a pleco unless other options are out of the questions (which the more or less never are)

To me it half and half sound like you are desribing a fungus.

shirogeibu
03-25-2011, 05:42 AM
Whatever it is, Im guessing that it didnt come out of the blue, something must have triggered it. plecos are generally pretty resistant. I hope he didnt get burned by the heater, i want to put it in my sump but its too big, and it might melt the plastic. I also just read that they can look this way if theyre stressed or if you take away their favorite hiding place, and i did just take out his favorite rock (it was causing too much blockage of fish and turtle poop/food). hopefully he will be ok but its not looking good. ill do a water change tomorrow.

BrandonBCA
03-25-2011, 10:22 AM
A koi constantly trying to jump out of the tank suggest water quality issues. Do you have a way to test for parameters outside of nitrogenous compounds(particularly phosphate?). Keeping a turtle with fish is hazardous beyond simply the snack factor. Turtles are high waste producers, so they can present their tank mates with problems a la water quality. Plecos tend to come from areas with highly pure water and being bottom dwellers waste materials accumulate in their preferred tank strata. Just hoping to give some food for thought.

gm72
03-25-2011, 10:37 AM
Most catfish are extremely sensitive to salt so treating with salt is a bad idea.

You have water quality issues and need to purchase test kits to determine the problem otherwise you will most likely lose a significant portion of your stock.

shirogeibu
03-25-2011, 03:07 PM
well, hes sleeping with the fishes. hes gone to join the big fish in the sky. rip tim

shirogeibu
03-25-2011, 03:19 PM
Nitrate, nitrite, ph, and hardness was all pretty much ideal. I haven't heard of checking phosphate I will definitely look into that. Its just weird because this particular koi has always jumped and swam erratically, even since i had him in my other tank. I have two other koi that have lived in the same tank for about a month now, and they are calm swimmers. He usually jumps when im close to the tank, like im freaking him out. At first I thought it was parasites, but hes been like that for a long time and my other fish have been fine, with the exception of the pleco.