PDA

View Full Version : 1g RCS tank

kingkarter
03-25-2011, 12:14 AM
Im planning on setting up a 1g RCS planted and i have some questions.

1.Is a 1g to small for a RCS tank?
2.Is sand a good subtrate for a shrimp tank?
3.Should i use a filter for such a small tank or will the plant be enough filtartion?

I have never done a shrimp tank befor so any advise is need and welcome.

Cascade
03-25-2011, 02:03 AM
I had my RCS in a 1.5 gallon tank, and I just recently moved them into an extra 10g that I had. The 1.5 gallon had enough room for them, but my problem was keeping the water quality up to par. Since shrimp are scavengers, I found it was really difficult to find the right balance between feeding enough and overfeeding which, in a small tank, sends the parameters way out of whack. After a second ammonia spike (worse than any I've had on my fish tanks, by FAR), I decided to forego the small tank and put them in a larger body of water. You may have success if you do frequent (every other day?) water changes, or find the right feeding balance. I just wasn't able to make it happen.

You will definitely want to filter the water, if not for the bioload of the shrimp, then for the results of any uneaten food. I find a sponge filter works just fine, plus the shrimp love picking things off of the sponge.

Sand works great (it's what I have), but you may find your shrimp don't show their brightest color unless they are against a darker substrate (or nice green plants).

Do include plants in your setup, mine spend a lot of time picking things off of the leaves - plus it's a good place for the young to hang out and scavenge.

Good luck! You will really enjoy having a shrimp only tank, they are super active and fun to watch.

kingkarter
03-25-2011, 03:40 AM
K thanks for the help

Spidyman
03-25-2011, 05:46 AM
Don't know if you own the tank yet but I bought a 1 gal from petsmart for guppy fry before I feed them to my cichlids and it cam with an undergravel filter and that works fairly wel and it would keep all food at the bottom for them to scavange for. You may me able to mak a small very small sponge filter but it would be hard to do.

jetajockey
03-25-2011, 09:18 AM
a 1g is a bit on the small side, but if you can keep it filtered and a stable temp, then it will work fine. I'd also plant it heavily, something non demanding like java moss would work great.

Cascade
03-25-2011, 02:25 PM
You may me able to make a small very small sponge filter but it would be hard to do.

I made a small sponge filter for that 1.5g shrimp tank with an air line, air stone, a section of tubing that just fit around the air stone, and old filter cartridge media. I cut the blue floss off of one of those replaceable filter cartridges (only because I had spare ones around and I don't use that kind of filter anymore - sponges work too), then wrapped it several times around the end of the larger tube. I tied it tightly at the bottom with fishing line to make sure it was closed over the opening of the tube. I put the air line and air stone down inside the larger tube (playing with the height of the air stone to maximize flow) and voila, it worked great. Always good to have a closet full of random fish supplies, because you never know what you'll be able to piece together! :ssmile:

kingkarter
03-29-2011, 06:08 PM
Thanks for all the info guy's