PDA

View Full Version : Fiddler crabs and brackish water?

chchch113
03-24-2011, 12:45 AM
Hi, my name is Cody and im a newbie to the forum.
I'm probably gonna be getting about 5 fiddlers and I've done some research on there habitat and the food and water needs. But im confused with the water needs.
I've read the need water with salt,table salt, kosher salt, marine salt, sea salt and im confused on how to and what to do for the water for a 10gallon tank.
Please help me im confused :s.
Sincerely,
Cody.H :)

Cermet
03-24-2011, 01:09 AM
I've read the need water with salt,table salt, kosher salt, marine salt, sea salt

These are marine creatures so that is the type of salt to use. Table salt has anti-caking agents and shouldn't be used for any fish type; kosher salt is used for fresh water fish as a treatment - not for marine fish. Sea salt is marine salt as far as I know.

Just go to the LFS and ask what salt - they will stock the right type (you'll also need a device to measure specific gravity, I would guess.) After finding out the type, you could order on line to save $ later. Good luck :hmm3grin2orange:

rageybug
03-24-2011, 01:26 AM
Hi Cody and welcome to the AC.

Fiddler crabs live in an ocean environment and therefore many people assume that they are true salt water creatures. Fiddles do spend time in the ocean but when the tide goes out, they hide in the mud or in small pools left behind. A brackish environment is going to be the best bet for you. Fiddlers do best in a brackish tank with a specific gravity around 1.005. Specific gravity means the amount of salt in the water. Your local fish store (or LFS) can sell you a small amount of marine salt and a hydrometer. That is the tool you use to measure specific gravity. E-Bay is a good choice for a hydrometer too. Remember that fiddler crabs need to be able to get completely out of the water when they want and they breathe air. Make sure you provide some sort of beach in your aquarium for them to relax on. Hope this helps to get you started... and good luck!

chchch113
04-01-2011, 12:17 AM
ok thank you so much that is perfect :fish: .
But i have another Q? How much sea salt for the water would i need for a 10 gallon aquarium?
Cody.