PDA

View Full Version : Channel Catfish Lost an Eye

MonsterFisKeeper11
03-23-2011, 10:19 PM
My 4 inch channel cat got attacked by my pike Cichlid (which I just took out) and he ate part of his eye. It looks like he only bit the eyelid and not the entire eye. He is bleeding but the blood isn't going into the water. What should I do, and will his eye ever grow back? Also will he be able to eat swim etc?

smaug
03-23-2011, 10:36 PM
He has a new name,Winky the one eyed wonder cat. Eyes don't grow back. He will be fine with one eye just as you I or any other critter would be. Keep up with good water keeping and xtra water changes till it looks healed overm a qt tank with some melafix would help a lot.

rageybug
03-24-2011, 01:30 AM
I have a yellow tang that lost an eye to a long-spined urchin. It is doing fine. Don't worry too much about the fish but keep a close eye on him (I could not resist) as infection is a possibility.

UncleWillie
03-24-2011, 12:40 PM
Agreed. Fish don't have eyelids, so the damage you see is likely tot the eye itself - that doesn't grow back. But like everyone said - the good news is this is in an aquarium, where missing an eye is not nearly as big of a deal as it would be in the wild. And better yet, it is a channel cat, where eyes are a minor part of detecting food, movement, etc.

aquaticbubba
03-25-2011, 10:50 PM
i had a fish that lost an eye..he was fine for about 4 days...died today!

Goes to 11!
03-26-2011, 12:03 AM
Post a pic, There are plenty of experienced people that will be able to give you more information on what to expect.

It's worth a 1000 words.

MonsterFisKeeper11
03-26-2011, 04:43 PM
My catfish just died. I don't know why?? Maybe the pike killed him?? Thanks for all the advice though.

Goes to 11!
03-26-2011, 04:58 PM
Surely you have pictures of the two of them together in your 55g, It would be the perfect memorial.

Post the turtle pictures also please, I would certainly like to see that.