PDA

View Full Version : Are they contagious?

salman
07-14-2007, 11:35 AM
I am just wondering, are fish diseases contagious? So if one of my fish is sick, do i have to put it in another tank so the other fish dont get infected?

Algenco
07-14-2007, 01:12 PM
yes! Isolate the affected fish and monitor the others closely

RobbieG
07-14-2007, 01:26 PM
Fish diseases can be contagious both to other fish and to humans - but many are caused by water quality. Quarantining a fish that has an illness caused by water quality won't protect the other fish.

The first thing to look at in any illness in you fish is your water. The second thing to look at is your water! Look at it like the tank is owned by someone you hate. We all think we do a great job with our water - and we all probably do most of the time, but nobody - nobody is perfect.

When your fish get sick check your water - IF it is good - THEN quarantine and treat for the illness.

Many of the fish medications are nearly as bad for healthy fish as an illness would be. They should be used as a last resort.

****Steps off of the soapbox****

salman
07-14-2007, 02:47 PM
How can you know if you have good water quality?
pH: 5
Hardness: 12
Nitrite: <0.3

I have looked in many stores but none of them have tests for ammonia. But my tank has been running for like 2 months now.

And i have a Discus fish that doesn't eat anything and it doesn't move. The color of it is going and its STICK thin! I put it in another empty tank about 15 minutes ago. She is really weak and she can't move.

SkarloeysMom
07-14-2007, 04:08 PM
NitrItes should be 0. It sounds like you might be cycling your fish. You should buy a Master Test kit. You can order them online if you can't find it in a store. How often to you do PWC and how much water do you change?

troy
07-14-2007, 04:13 PM
Fish TB can transfer to humans, sometimes resulting in death.

Lady Hobbs
07-14-2007, 04:46 PM
How can you know if you have good water quality?

If you do regular weekly water changes and keep the gravel cleaned up and your filter media changed when needed, you should have good water quality if you tank has been cycled and it's safe to do all the above.

You often hear of some that will test their water but never change it! Fish pee in this water 24/7.

Discus are a fish that like a lower pH and soft water. They can adapt to different variables but ALL fish require regular maintenance of their tanks. It's like us breathing the same stale air for months.

salman
07-14-2007, 05:02 PM
I just baught another kit and it had everything..

pH: 5
General Hardness: 13
Carbonate Hardness: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 100 mg/l
Ammonia: 0

The nitrate is high i think, how can i lower it?