PDA

View Full Version : Ghost shrimp and RCS? ...

mermaidwannabe
03-23-2011, 12:56 AM
Are Ghost Shrimp compatible with Red Cherries? I know they both tolerate colder water, and thus far neither LFS sells the Ghosts. But if I were to get some from another source, could I put them in with my red cherries without any problems? Size-wise, are the ghosts about the same as the red cherries, or do they grow much larger?

-- mermaid

Goes to 11!
03-23-2011, 01:32 AM
This Shrimp compatibility chart (http://www.theshrimpfarm.com/articles/dwarf-shrimp-compatibility-chart.php) says that the GS will potentially eat the smaller RCS.

Whether one would decimate the population of the other would require more research...

mermaidwannabe
03-23-2011, 01:44 AM
Thanks. Just went there and read the chart. Guess I'll either have to stick with one or the other, or provide plenty of hiding places in a much larger tank than I now have.

-- mermaid

KatzeSlaugen
03-23-2011, 01:47 AM
i can attest to the fact that ghost shrimp will eat any smaller shrimp. on the 10min trip home from my lfs with 24 ghost shrimp 3 of the smaller ones (maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch long) were eaten by some of the larger ones (1.5/2 inches).

i definitely wouldnt put it past them to even eat small fry in the tank.

Goes to 11!
03-23-2011, 01:55 AM
YVW.

i definitely wouldnt put it past them to even eat small fry in the tank.

I don't know if it's the adult mollys or the ghost shrimp but something is keeping my livebearer tank survival rate down to 'only the strong & hidden' survive, Which is fine with me.