PDA

View Full Version : 1st pond - new to fish keeping

whity
03-21-2011, 10:37 PM
I have a 4 week old 800lt pond (200cm x120x50 approx)with a bio-filter cycling about 3600lt/hr it has some plants,drift wood,rock etc with places to hide, however as yet no fish. I would appreciate any ideas on what type of fish may be suitable.

~Col~
03-22-2011, 07:46 AM
Where in Australia are you?

I live in SEQ and we can have anything from swordtails to goldfish in outdoor ponds. You could have turtles (need a license). My brother-in-law has a large pond with a mix of large goldfish and swordtails. The swords breed like flies!!

Depends on where you are. If you down in Tassie or the lower portion of Australia, you'd probably be better to stick with Goldfish. There are many different types. As you travel further north though you can go the more tropical fish.

Good luck!!

Alasse
03-22-2011, 08:06 AM
You should look into some of the Australian native fish. There are many that can do colder water and others that do better in warmer.

I have goldfish in mine, mainly because i needed to move them to a bigger home. If i hadnt of had them i would have gone natives for sure.

whity
03-22-2011, 09:39 PM
Mid North Coast NSW.

smaug
03-22-2011, 09:48 PM
As others have stated and if you are in a tropical type are thn tropical native fish would be a great choice. 8oo liters is 200 gal right? If you go the goldfish route you could have 6 to 8 fancy tails or common goldys or the same number of comets. Your pond is not large enough for koi however.