PDA

View Full Version : friendly betta?

colookie12
03-21-2011, 06:36 PM
Ok so my last setup i had running in my 55 gal i had 1betta 6 cory catfish 13 neon tetras and a rubber lip placo im am now planning to get my tank running again and have somewhat the same setup oh and i also had some plant bulbs in there that grew rapidly but i dont remember what type of plANT IT WAS.SO i was told by alot of people that i was lucky my male betta didnt hurt the fish. Was it his personality? If i get another one will it hurt my other fish?:help:

kingkarter
03-21-2011, 06:48 PM
It's 50/50 there a chance it will go great and theres a chance it will turn out horible. If you are going to try it you will need a back up tank for the betta(mininum size of 2.5g) so that if things go bad you can put him in there.

colookie12
03-21-2011, 06:54 PM
thanks for the advice so would i have a better chance for no aggression if i put a female betta in ?

tori.lock
03-21-2011, 09:29 PM
Personally, I think that male bettas are less aggressive than people think. I've had two in community tanks with no problems, and nothing to make me nervous. My new betta in a 3g might be more aggressive, but I think that with space it really reduces the fish's aggression. Female bettas are generally less aggressive than males, but they can be as aggressive as the most aggressive male betta.

Cyberra
03-21-2011, 11:11 PM
It depends on the individual betta. I have one male who picks fights with just about everything, and one who's so calm, if he were any more laid-back he'd be swimming upside-down. How a betta reacts to tankmates is entirely dependent on the personality of the betta. Some accept tankmates better than others.