PDA

View Full Version : Java Moss

MonsterFisKeeper11
03-20-2011, 11:20 PM
Does java moss grow on the bottom of the tank in the gravel like grass? I got some and thats what people have told me. I was just wondering. Also would a turtle eat java moss?

DrNic
03-21-2011, 12:43 AM
If its in a mat it will grow like grass. If you just take a ball of moss and spread it around the bottom you can get a grass like effect. However over time it will get tall and reach up into the tank and need to be trimmed down.

I'm not sure if turtles will eat it or not.

Lady Hobbs
03-21-2011, 12:48 AM
Moss collects all the food and aglae it can gather. You have to shake it out or have the filter running thru it to keep it clean. Most of us just throw it in the tank and let the fish spawn on it or the shrimp crawl thru it. Never heard of anyone trying to use it as a carpet but it does attach to wood.

Alasse
03-21-2011, 12:53 AM
I've seen it put between mesh and they let it grow through, then keep it trimmed. Both walla and floors i have seen like this.

Its not a naturally tidy plant, not a preferred moss when it comes to planted tanks, as its one that tends to end up in places you dont want it and it doesnt stay compact.

MonsterFisKeeper11
03-21-2011, 12:59 AM
If its in a mat it will grow like grass. If you just take a ball of moss and spread it around the bottom you can get a grass like effect. However over time it will get tall and reach up into the tank and need to be trimmed down.

I'm not sure if turtles will eat it or not.

What do you mean by If its in a mat it will grow like grass?

mac
03-21-2011, 01:34 AM
By mat the java moss is spread out over bottom tank then kept down so as to form a mat. And over time it will become like a lawn.

I have tried making mates with it. And it works great. But grows fast and is a pain to clean. I would really not bother with doing it, unless you willing to take the time to clean it.

mac

DrNic
03-21-2011, 02:50 AM
What do you mean by If its in a mat it will grow like grass?
Some places will sell java moss already stuck to a plastic mat. I've seen them a lot at Petco lately.

jetajockey
03-21-2011, 04:12 AM
I have some java moss that grows along the substrate in one of my planted tanks. Whenever I get some out of it I literally have to pick out all the gravel and whatnot that it's grown onto. I think if you spread it out thin and put a little bit of gravel on it to hold it down it will probably do the same.

Unfortunately it also grows upward, so you'd have to trim it.

MonsterFisKeeper11
03-21-2011, 02:32 PM
What is the easiest way to clean java moss?

skullduggery1
03-21-2011, 02:36 PM
What is the easiest way to clean java moss?
I would say loaches.

Alasse
03-21-2011, 02:43 PM
Mine doesnt accumulate anything to have to clean, must be the placement, thickness or something thats different. Strange

WhiteDevil
03-21-2011, 02:45 PM
corydoras,loaches and any bottom dweller will keep it clean, shrimps are the best at it but are easily gobbled up.

Turtles will eat the java moss like a fat guy(like myself) would eat a cheesecake and ask for more.

Lady Hobbs
03-21-2011, 05:09 PM
Mine doesnt accumulate anything to have to clean, must be the placement, thickness or something thats different. Strange

Could be not enough water movement to keep it cleaned off. I will try putting it elsewhere.