PDA

View Full Version : On choosing an appropriate tank size:

Rue
03-20-2011, 08:26 PM
I understand that some people will insist on overstocking. If you overstock and put in the work...then the animals might be physically healthy...but they won't really have enough room to move - so why bother?

IMO - An overstocked tank just does not look nice.

There is also nothing wrong with understocking. A tank can have a small shoal of fish, or 2-3 larger fish and be absolutely stunning. There is no need to even load the tank up to 'capacity'.

If you are rearing fish...you might want to use smaller grow-out tanks. Fine.

BUT - if you get a fish and plan on keeping it...please research the size the ADULT fish needs and get the appropriate tank.

Just because an animal CAN manage with less space doesn't mean that's the housing you should aim for.

For example. If I had to, my two sons could have shared a single bed in an 8' X 10' bedroom. There is enough room on a single bed for two full-grown males to sleep on. We've all been camping, roughing it etc., we know it's possible. There's also enough room for a dresser and min. storage for clothes. And if they have to, they could stand up and walk around a bit on the available floor space.

But is that really a good goal for growing boys/ young men? Instead, because we had the space, I arranged for each 6+ ' son to have a double bed and their own bedroom.

I'm pretty sure they're happier I opted for more space.

Strider199
03-20-2011, 08:31 PM
Rue I think your absolutely 100% CORRECT. Space = comfort. My 55 gallon has the same amout of stock as I had in my 29 gallon. All the fish look happy and colourful. Room = comfort.

funkman262
03-20-2011, 08:37 PM
lol very true. There are so many resons as to why it's important not to overstock. Swimming space as you mention is one, then there's also territorial space, oxygen concerns, waste build-up, and others that I'm probably not recalling right now.

You made a great point though about researching and preparing for the adult size of a fish. Oscars for example, are sold in stores as 2" little fish that would look perfectly fine in a 10g tank. For obvious reasons though, I don't think that would be a very good long term home. Unfortunately, people don't realize that and have neither the capacity nor desire to upgrade their tanks to the appropriate size so the fish end up living out the rest of their short-lived life cramped in a tiny little space.