PDA

View Full Version : 5 red belly piranhas?

genocidex
03-20-2011, 07:11 PM
what sized tank should i be looking for it i wanted to keep 5 red bellies? i was thinking of setting my 55 up for it but after the reading i was doing it seems i should be looking for something larger. i was going to get a rena xp2 or 3 for filters.

Strider199
03-20-2011, 07:44 PM
It depends on the size of the red bellies I guess. I had a bunch in my 29 gallon but they were only about the size f a quarter back then. With such fish it's not unusual to loss a few on the way due to their feeding habits. The larger the tank the better but if you start with around 5 piranhas in the 55 gallon I dont see a problem. Keep them well fed and be careful when it's dark. Dont turn on the lights on a dark tank, they go crazy.

Rue
03-20-2011, 08:10 PM
I thought the red-bellied adults needed 20+ g per fish and double filtration...

I know the larger species need about 40 + g per fish...

If you're growing them out it's one thing to use a smaller tank...but if you're planning on housing the adults...I'd say a 55g is much too small...

genocidex
03-20-2011, 08:34 PM
i was planning on growing them from quarter sized up till adults, i did hear things ling 20+g e but there were other ideas of 10-30 e so it confused me. so if i found say a 100gish would that be a nice setup with a rena xp3?

Rue
03-20-2011, 08:39 PM
That sounds much better.

genocidex
03-20-2011, 08:48 PM
ok sounds like a plan lol, time to start setting aside some money for a good tank. maybe next years tax return can go to that

MCHRKiller
03-21-2011, 05:43 AM
Make sure whatever tank you get for them is atleast a 6fter...Redbellies need very specific conditions to feel secure and thrive. Very low lighting, good water circulation and lots of room. They grow to around the size of a dinner plate...10-12" and quite robust. I would actually invest in 2-3 XP3 canisters for life long filtration, do get alteast 2 XP3s which will do them for quite some time...but do be prepared to drop a 3rd on there by the time they are adult as they are also very messy feeders.