PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting a Betta....

MeganL3985
07-13-2007, 09:16 PM
So I was thinking of getting another tank and saving a betta from one of those aweful cups. I feel so bad for them when I see them at the store. I had mentioned it to my mom today and she was like "But aren't you worried about promoting the fish being treated like that?". I never really thought about that, only that I wanted to save one. I just kinda thought its like the dogs at the shelter, its going to happen no matter what, but atleast your giving one a good life? Did anyone else have doubts when buying your betta/s?

RobbieG
07-14-2007, 01:08 AM
Stores seem to sell 99% of thier stuff to people that think that things like that are fine. I think that you can have more of an impact talking to people you know that have them at their homes and offices (and convincing them to get a small tank instead of the bowl) than not buying one from the store. The stores just leave them out in those bowls or tupperware containers until they die anyways. The one that you don't buy is going to die and be replaced like any other piece of inventory.

MeganL3985
07-14-2007, 01:56 AM
Thanks for that piece of advice...I appreciate it.

Oh just a random question....how do you acclimate a betta from one of those dishes, without having a bag like a normal fish?

RobbieG
07-14-2007, 02:02 AM
I'd pour out a little bit of his water and add a little tank water every 10 minutes or so for an hour. This time of year the air temerature should be close enough to the water temperature to keep that from being a problem.

SkarloeysMom
07-14-2007, 02:54 AM
It is really sad how bettas are sold in little cups in big box pet stores. I bought Skarloey in one of those cups from PetSmart. When I decided to get another betta I went a LSF and found bettas that were well cared for in clean water in big 1 quart mason jars. In the future I will buy only from LFSs that care for their bettas. Whenever I have to go to PetSmart for fish supplies or dog food I just try not to look at the bettas in the cups. It makes me too sad.

Rue
07-14-2007, 07:13 AM
If the small containers have their water changed every two days...it's fine for short-term holding...

The quart jars aren't any better if their water isn't changed...

However, once you get your betta...see if you can house him at least in a planted, heated 5g...you'd be amazed at how entertaining and active they become!

RobbieG
07-14-2007, 12:06 PM
Thanks Rue - I had never seen anyone change the water in those.

Rue
07-14-2007, 03:29 PM
...I have!

But in many pet stores a lot of maintenance is supposed to be done before the store actually opens...

Now, whether or not it gets done every 2 days...that's the question...

SkarloeysMom
07-14-2007, 03:29 PM
If the small containers have their water changed every two days...it's fine for short-term holding...

The quart jars aren't any better if their water isn't changed...

I understand that. All the betta cups I see at most of the big box pet stores look dirty with floating debris and sick looking fish. Our LFS obviously takes better care of their betta inventory because the water in the jars always looks clean everytime I visit. I will buy from them because I appreciate the fact that they take care of the bettas. That's the kind of care I want to support. I can't change the way big box stores care for their bettas but I can choose to support the stores that do it right.