PDA

View Full Version : Mini cycle?

tkdracer
03-19-2011, 10:02 PM
Two weeks ago I changed out my substrate from regular gravel to plant substrate from aquarium plants.com. I also removed the ugf, but the canister filter had been in place for about a month and a half before this, and the ac 30 added about 2 days after the substrate change. I thought this might cause a mini cycle and I think it did. Yesterday water was 0 ammonia, .50 nitrites, 10-20 nitrates and the nitrites have been present since about 2 days after the substrate change-over. So last night I did a 50% w/c as per my normal weekly routine and today water tested at 0 ammonia, .50 nitrites, 5 nitrates. Also tested tap water and my 10 gal quarantine and both read 0 nitrites so test kit is okay, api liquid kit.

Tank stats, fully cycled (fishless) 29 gal. moderately planted, large piece of bogwood, aquarium plants.com substrate, 1 koi angel, 1 dwarf gourami, 1 bnp, 3 ghost shrimp, canister filter rated for 30 gal, ac 30 hob w/bio media added, water temp 78-80.
Cleaning routine;Once per week, 50% w/c and light gravel vac, rinse out filters in old tank water.

So basically my question is, have I started a mini cycle? Or should I be looking at other factors? And how long might this last?
thanks all

Strider199
03-19-2011, 10:08 PM
"water tested at 0 ammonia, .50 nitrites, 5 nitrates. "

With the .50 nitrites present I would say your tank is going through a cycle of sorts. Keep up the water changes, if I remeber right, your BB for nitrites should be growing in your filters and this part of the cycle will only last about 5-6 days.

Cermet
03-19-2011, 11:08 PM
If the canister was running for a month wit ha UGF (the main filter), it does not have enough bacteria yet to support the tank all by itself; that is changing so just keep up with the WC, and monitor the nitrites - you'll be fully cycled within a week or so.:hmm3grin2orange:

Goes to 11!
03-20-2011, 01:13 AM
If the canister was running for a month wit ha UGF (the main filter), it does not have enough bacteria yet to support the tank all by itself; that is changing so just keep up with the WC, and monitor the nitrites
+1 To the above.

What is in your QT tank?

tkdracer
03-20-2011, 02:47 AM
+1 To the above.

What is in your QT tank?
one betta, a couple plants and a ugf and small tetra hob filter