PDA

View Full Version : Betta in Trouble

VTAeries
03-17-2011, 10:31 AM
I recently put a new female betta in one of my community tanks with another female betta, three neons, and two Mollies because she'd seemed unhappy/wouldn't eat in her solitary tank. I kept a close watch on her and her tankmates the first couple days for any signs of aggression. Everything seemed fine, and the newer Betta, X-Ray, had perked up and competed for food and seemed very active.

Last night when I got home, she didn't look good. She was at the bottom of the tank next to a dragon, and she seemed darker than normal. Her breathing seemed labored and there was a red something that flexed out of her gills with each breath that I hadn't noticed before.

I tested the water and didn't see anything wrong (not to mention everyone else in the tank seemed happy as could be). My results were <.25 ammonia (I never feel like my test indicates 0, though others do) 0 trites, and about 10 trates.

I took her out of the tank and put her in a small bowl with some tank water and some purified water, worrying that it could be some disease or something. I then noticed that her tail fin seemed a little tattered, though not extremely so. She also had perked up and made it difficult to catch her when before it looked like she was on the verge of death. I honestly didn't expect her to make it through the night.

This morning she seems to not be breathing as fast.

I'm not sure what to do at this point and I would appreciate any advice.

rich311k
03-17-2011, 10:52 AM
sounds to me like she was getting picked on in the tank. I would isolate her and let her heal up. She may just need to live alone.

lotus flower
03-17-2011, 11:01 AM
My betta wasn't breathing fast, but she was showing the beginning signs of fin and tail rot--dark colored tinges at the edges of her fins. It responded well to Maracyn.

I agree, though, that it sounds like she was stressed from the other fish picking on her, and most likely got her fins torn up. Poor fishy!

VTAeries
03-18-2011, 12:17 PM
Looks like it's probably fin rot. Her tail got worse despite moving to another tank. I isolated her again but unfortunately I don't have an empty tank to keep her in and I don't like the idea of leaving her in a smaller, unfiltered container. I'm thinking that when I pick up some Maracyn I might get a breeder-type chamber to keep her isolated in one of the tanks.

Also, would the Maracyn do anything to the BB?

VTAeries
03-24-2011, 12:05 PM
Just wanted to post an update. X-Ray seems to have made a full recovery. I got a breeding/isolation chamber to keep her in her original tank. Monday was the fifth and final day of the Maracyn regimen. Her tail seems to be growing back nicely.

Yesterday she jumped out of the isolation chamber into the main tank. I think that was her telling me she's all better. :hmm3grin2orange:

The other betta (Ms. Betta) seemed to miss her. She had been hanging out by the iso-chamber nearly 24/7 and when X-Ray escaped, she was sticking pretty close to her.

Cyberra
03-24-2011, 11:53 PM
^_^ Female bettas are actually quite social and like each other's company... and they have absolutely no problem letting you know exactly what they think of something XD