PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tubbin?

jetajockey
03-17-2011, 07:04 AM
Is anyone setting up tubs? I'm planning a couple or 4 or 5 20g tubs this year to go out back. Not totally sure on what species I'm gonna put in there but they will likely be species-tubs and I know for sure that one is going to be for RCS and another for CPD's.

Anyone else?

Lab_Rat
03-19-2011, 04:02 AM
Tubing yes (once it's warmer out, way too cold to go tubing now), tubbin no. Once I have a house though I may try a set up like that.

Goes to 11!
03-19-2011, 04:09 AM
Possibly some plants - TBD :ssmile:

WhiteDevil
03-19-2011, 01:15 PM
Yup, ordered my new polyethelene horse troughs yesterday so by the end of april Ill have em all up and running.

jetajockey
03-19-2011, 05:08 PM
I got 3 tubs set up today. They are just 20 gallon cheap utility tubs from the big box hardware place. They were just under 8 dollars apiece.

I really like the horse trough idea, I may incorporate that if I can find one cheap enough.

I added some lava rocks in the bottom and I'll probably put a small amount of mineralized topsoil down and some random gravel that I have laying around.

I also got some chicken wire (was hard to find under that name, ended up having to use a less countrified term, poultry netting)

It covers the tops of the tubs well to keep the kids, dogs, cats, and everything else from getting too interested. It was nice also because it bends easily so it was easy to secure.

I still have to run an airline from the pump in the garage out there so I can use sponge filters. I did tubs last year with no filtration at all and it seemed o.k. but I really think having a cleaner/high oxygen environment is conducive to better growth and health of the stock.

Speaking of stock, I'm kind of settling on a shrimp-only tank with about 50 or so RCS to start with. I'm going to pick out the reddest that I can so that hopefully they will pay it forward.

The other two tubs I'm still undecided but I'm kind-of leaning towards celestial pearl danios in one and one of my guppy strains or endler strains in the other.

I'm attempting to stock to best breed these guys out so I may have to stick with species-only tubs. The only exception I can think of is possibly putting some corys or bn plecos in the livebearer tub.

Any suggestions?

Trillianne
03-19-2011, 05:42 PM
Considering that last year a bear was desperate enough to forage in my birdfeeder and we've had raccoons sit just on the other side of the french doors and stare at the cats..... I think I'd best not.

kingkarter
03-19-2011, 06:55 PM
To many cats coons and possums around here

jetajockey
03-19-2011, 08:01 PM
Lol yeah. I live in a subdivision so I don't have to worry about wildlife too much. If I did I'd definitely rethink and have to plan some kind of barrier.