PDA

View Full Version : Got my tank!

lpxaudio
07-13-2007, 06:47 AM
I finally got my new tank, its a 55gal glass tank. I still havent got the filter, what would u guys recommend for a filter? and will ordering online be cheaper than buying at petco or local fish stores?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/lpxaudio/DSC04931.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/lpxaudio/DSC04927.jpg

Lady Hobbs
07-13-2007, 06:57 AM
You're going to have a hard time getting the background on once you set it up. Much easier to do it before adding the water and sand. I know! I want to change my background and can't get in behind it to change it .

Make sure you have it about 5 inches from the wall (and 6 to play it safe) to make room for filters, too. Another error I made some time ago. I had to tear my whole tank down to move one side out one inch!

Everyone will recommend a canister for one side and a hang on the back for the other most likely. If you plant the tank, most likely just the canister would be enough.

My 55 gallon has an Emporer 400 and a Penquin 350. Haven't gotten around to getting a canister yet but these two filters are doing a good job and have been for over a year. Also helps to do weekly cleaning.

I hope you will do a fishless cycle and save yourself a lot of work and have no loss of fish. You can do a fishless in about 10-12 days and it takes much longer trying to use fish, as well.

Fishguy2727
07-13-2007, 01:06 PM
What fish are you wanting to put in it?
How many?
What will be your water change schedule?

Most likely you won't be able to find deals in stores as good as online, but it also depends on what stores are around you. The Petsmart by me is carrying Eheims now. I would go with at least one canister.

TehTANK
07-13-2007, 01:58 PM
it is going to be great. Question: did you put egg crate down under the sand? I did that to distribute weight of the rocks I put in. I have a 90 gallon f Malawi Cichlids and have about 150 lbs of rock in there right now. I am sure the sand help distribute weight but I want to be on the safe side. Hobbs made a great point too. I didn't put a background on mine because I like it without right now but you should do that before you can't move it. Also make sure you have enough room for the filters. you don't want to get it set in place and have to break it all down to get more room for the filters.....I know from experiance. Boy did that suck. If you are going to go with cichlids, I say good choice. They are so beautiful and fun and that is what I have in my 90 Gallon.

lpxaudio
07-13-2007, 06:17 PM
thanks all for the replies,
i still havent decided what and how many fishes to get, i just know it will be a cichlid. and i will deffinately move the tank forward so i can fit the filter in. Also, i havent put and egg crates i didnt know it was needed, but i wont be putting too much rocks maybe 40lbs or so, i hope the tank can hold it.
Qs:
any suggestions on how many electric cichlids i should get for this tank?
I was planning on putting 2 emperor 400 filters on both corners of my tank, is this ok?
what other must have equipment am I missing?

Fishguy2727
07-13-2007, 08:05 PM
This is post 1,500 for me.

I would move the sand to one end and put in egg crate, then move all the sand over to the other end and put it in the other side.

Are you going with African cichlids?

The Biowheels are the best form of biological filtration. But canisters provide a lot of media space. Since they do not sell the Biowheel Power Pros anymore, I would go with a canister, but I would not consider the Emperors to be a mistake either (I don't like the cartridges for them at all, just the Biowheels).

I have put backgrounds on tanks that were setup by myself. It is not too bad. I would cut it to fit the front, then move it to the back. And make sure that the top of the background is tucked in to the top trim, this prevents water from getting between the background and glass, causing a very distracting blotchy effect.