PDA

View Full Version : Turtle and Gar

MonsterFisKeeper11
03-16-2011, 10:12 PM
I have a cooter turtle about 5-6 inches and I wante to know if a needle nose gar or any gar could go with the turtle. Any other fish that can go with a turtle please post.

KatzeSlaugen
03-17-2011, 01:49 AM
turtles are very messy and even with amazing filtration the water may need changed often.

what size tank do you have?

and if a cooter turtle is the same as a painted turtle fish would probably just be a tasty snack for him

Demjor19
03-17-2011, 02:13 AM
I would never keep a turtle with any fish. As stated above...Turtles are messy and most just so happen to eat fish.

Spidyman
03-25-2011, 04:45 AM
My doctors office keeps African cichlids with turtles and they all seem fine.

Northernguy
03-25-2011, 05:08 AM
Have you asked how often they get new fish? lol
It is not recommended.

Cliff
03-25-2011, 06:58 AM
You also got a lot of great advice on the same topic in the below thread

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=76048

Goes to 11!
03-25-2011, 07:26 AM
Yes Cliff he certainly did:

From 3-16-2011 from here (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?p=871860#post871860)

I have a cooter turtle about 5-6 inches and I wante to know if a needle nose gar or any gar could go with the turtle. Any other fish that can go with a turtle please post. From 3-19-2011

I have a cooter turtle about 4-5 inches. He is not aggressive and doesnt eat feeder fish (i put one in and its been living in there for weeks). I wanter to know if a african clawed frog can go with him?
It is getting smaller as well. Can you post a picture of the turtle?

genocidex
03-25-2011, 06:00 PM
i have no clue about couter turtles, but there are some turtles that dont eat fish. fly river turtles are one that i know of, and my map turtle never touched any of my fish. but it might be like adding a betta in a community tank, hit or miss, but there are things you can do to improve your odds.

"While the species is highly herbivorous, river cooters will eat anything, plant or animal, dead or alive."
seems like this is an "at your own risk" situation. if you decide to do it keep your turtle full, lol

Lady Hobbs
03-25-2011, 06:08 PM
The problem is he continues to ask the same questions and gets the same answers. He has a turtle in a 15 gallon tank. Not enough room for the turtle much less fish.

And now talking about a gar?

Cooter turtles need rocks where they can get out of the water, like to bask in the sun and like to have turtle girlfriends. They're not supposed to be submerged in water 24/7.

genocidex
03-25-2011, 07:41 PM
wait he has his turtle in a 15 gallon tank and its bigger than a silver dollar !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? anything less than a 20g long is cruel, and even still thats too small. try something bigger than 50g just for the turtle, at least 1/4 of the area should be land with a heat lamp on it.

Demjor19
04-04-2011, 01:27 PM
i have no clue about couter turtles, but there are some turtles that dont eat fish. fly river turtles are one that i know of, and my map turtle never touched any of my fish. but it might be like adding a betta in a community tank, hit or miss, but there are things you can do to improve your odds.

"While the species is highly herbivorous, river cooters will eat anything, plant or animal, dead or alive."
seems like this is an "at your own risk" situation. if you decide to do it keep your turtle full, lol

I personally know someone who had an FRT take a big chunk out of a xanthic Florida Gar.