PDA

View Full Version : Pleco food

DrNic
03-16-2011, 02:45 AM
Aside from the algae wafers what should I feed a pleco? From time to time I'll toss in some veggies but aside from that is there anything else I can feed them that they'll eat?

I've heard that they will nibble on driftwood, is that true? Should I put a small piece in the tank for them to nibble on?

jetajockey
03-16-2011, 03:42 AM
bristlenose plecos really should have a bit of wood to rasp on in their tank. As far as feeding them goes, sounds like you got it nailed. You can add high quality pellets and sticks to that list also if you really want.

HODOR
03-16-2011, 04:02 AM
I feed my BN algae wafers, and veggies (zucchini, cucumber...etc). I have read that most plecos will eat wood, but it will take a long time for noticeable amounts of wood disappear. I have had my BN for about two years and I know that I haven't noticed any changes in the wood, but I do have several pieces. If you can then I'd say go ahead and put some in.

pleco broski
03-23-2011, 04:22 AM
I feed my two plecs the wafers and also do some veggies. I tried apples tonite and they loved it! Also they love bananas but it makes a mess of the tank so i stay away from the softer veggies. Pinnapple is next on my list to try. I also do some shrimp pellets here and there. I have heard something about frozen shrimp but im not too sure on that. And the wood is great idea. It helps their digestion

aquaticbubba
03-26-2011, 02:07 AM
depends on the pleco, i have a ri- negro - pleco, and that kind will eat flake food and left overs as well as elge

Kik
03-26-2011, 02:06 PM
My two bristlenose eat the wafers and veggies. They seem to really like cucumber!

genocidex
03-26-2011, 02:52 PM
i think they dont just eat the wood in of itself. as i understand the wood is like a bacteria and other goodies magnet. the wood might be eaten with those but i think plecos are more interested in the morsels stuck to it. also wood makes good hiding spots for it.

geo.2tired
03-27-2011, 09:21 PM
I give mine the brine shrimp sticks, and the algae wafers, which both come from Kens. He will go back and forth between the two if I put in both.