PDA

View Full Version : Cabomba Suplement??

jessfish
03-15-2011, 11:13 PM
I got 2 plants last week a bunch of cabomba & a bunch of hornwort. I split the bunches into seperate groups (about 3 stems to a group) stuck them in QT with my new goldie since I knew I wouldn't have time to properly plant them (i know they just get stuck in the sand lol) but I still wont be able to plant them in the main tank until thurs.

The hornwort seems to be ok, the cabomba though is falling over, not bent, just leaning over, some of the little braches look like they are turning white but its hard to tell in the light.
It doesn't seem like the leaves are falling off but I am worried the plants are going to die or be irreversibly damaged.

Are they having problems bc they are in QT?

Do the plants need suplements that they aren't getting from the water?

(the filter is always on my main tank & should have more than enough BB & the water test was good)

Strider199
03-15-2011, 11:19 PM
I found my Cabomba like liquid fertilizers. It still bent if there was a current of any kind but the little leaves stayed green and in place when it was fed Liquid fert's. BB isn't what your Cabomba is looking for, fish poop and light are whats going to make it happy.

jessfish
03-15-2011, 11:27 PM
I found my Cabomba like liquid fertilizers. It still bent if there was a current of any kind but the little leaves stayed green and in place when it was fed Liquid fert's. BB isn't what your Cabomba is looking for, fish poop and light are whats going to make it happy.

Should I put one of my other goldies in the tank to add to the poop? The new goldie is only in QT 2 more days & is healthy so far...but I dont think its pooping enough??

jessfish
03-15-2011, 11:45 PM
I pushed the filter bar across the tank as far as i could so its not directly above the cabomba, & moved a couple of the plants over to a 'calmer' spot for now.

I did notice that a couple of the bottoms of the stems are rotting...can I trim some bottom leaves off, cut off the part that is rotting & plant it (on thur)??

:22:

Strider199
03-16-2011, 12:41 AM
I did notice that a couple of the bottoms of the stems are rotting...can I trim some bottom leaves off, cut off the part that is rotting & plant it (on thur)??

:22:
Yes. I would take the lower dark stem off the plant and stick it back in the substrate. The little white thread like things coming off the plant are roots that it feeds through so try to leave those on the plant when you see them growing.

Having another Goldie in the tank would benifit the Cabomba but if your out at the lfs next time maybe purchase a small bottle of some liquid fertilizer.

Abbeys_Mom
03-16-2011, 12:50 AM
I just got 2 bunches each of the same plants (on sale at Big Al's Hamilton). I like to hear updates on how it's going. I hope it's not just bad stock.

Strider199
03-16-2011, 12:52 AM
I just got 2 bunches each of the same plants (on sale at Big Al's Hamilton). I like to hear updates on how it's going. I hope it's not just bad stock.
Thats where I bought mine back in Feb this year. I've thinned it out but it's still doing really well.

jessfish
03-16-2011, 01:05 AM
I added in another fish as well & he's already pooped -i think he's mad - he was in there for a min & moved the cave about 2in!!!!!!!!!!!! for a pearlscale that takes a lot of effort LOL
The plants seem to be standing a bit straighter so thats a good sign!

What type of fertalizer? Is there a certain one I should be looking for? & I add a small amount of liquid calcium to the tank a few times a week - this wont mess up the plants or the ferts job will it?

jessfish
03-16-2011, 01:08 AM
The little white thread like things coming off the plant are roots that it feeds through so try to leave those on the plant when you see them growing.

WOW thanks for telling me about the white roots...i've seen a few of those & didn't think they were roots & probably would have ended up cutting them off :14:

Strider199
03-16-2011, 01:17 AM
Use a liquid fertilier that does NOT contain Phosphates or Nitrates. I use Leaf Zone by API. A little goes a long ways. I mix it in one of my buckets during a water change. The fert should have iron and potassium trace elements in it to keep your plant nice and green.

jessfish
03-16-2011, 02:45 AM
Awesome thanks!!!!

I'll look for some of that tomorrow since im picking up my sand at the pool store & checking out plant prices at other FS!!

thumbs2: