PDA

View Full Version : could I add my betta?

Elliriyanna
03-15-2011, 09:28 AM
I am currently Planning a ADF species tank. Three little african dwarfs in a heavily planted tank. I was also planning on adding a trio of ghost shrimp. My dilemma is I currently have a non aggressive female who is housed in my 5 gallon with a few other fish. Would it be ok to add her for a little movement? She wont feed at the bottom with them and is easily distracted so I could syringe feed the little ones. But Is it ok to feed her or should i leave it as a species tank? I know they have trouble they have eating which is whats concerning me.

PS its a ten gallon planted, heated and cycled. With a ten gallon power filter ( causes no current or vibration so its great for the frogs and bettas)

tori.lock
03-15-2011, 05:26 PM
Bettas in communities are hit or miss. I don't have a problem with my betta in a community, he feeds with the other fish and everything. However I don't have experience with frogs. It sounds like it might be worth a try. You can always move her if she gets aggressive or if the frogs aren't getting enough food.

nmb7895
03-15-2011, 06:27 PM
Adding a betta makes feeding ADFs harder, but not impossible. I keep a betta and ADF in a heavily planted 10gal. I've trained both to eat bloodworms right out of tweezers, so I distract the betta and go in to feed the frog. If the frog is hungry enough, he goes right for them.

If you use the food dish method, the betta will learn within 2 (maybe 1) feedings that food will be there. Which defeats the purpose of using a dish.

If she figures out there's food at the bottom, watch how fast she starts eating food off the bottom. My female in my 25 gal eats my cory's algae wafers. Luckily they're rowdy and kick her out.

Being planted helps. I make sure to time feedings for when the frog is hiding in plants, and the betta is on the opposite side. This gives the frog plenty of time to eat out of the tweezers before the betta comes rooting around the tweezers.

A female should have absolutely no problems with an ADF unless you have a ridiculously agressive one. She won't even notice him 99% of the time. I'd be more concerned about the shrimp.

Elliriyanna
03-15-2011, 09:13 PM
My current method with my betta girl and the oto's in her tank is feed her her flakes and then drop in the wafer. She really likes her flakes so she doesnt bother with the algae wafer. I'll try it out when i get them and if it works she'll get to stay in the big tank and a new betta boy will get her ten gallon ... If it doesnt She'll move back to her ten gallon. I'll just train her to eat on one side.

nmb7895
03-15-2011, 10:02 PM
I have an oto also. He doesn't touch algae wafers, so it's not a problem competing with the betta for those. I feed mine veggies and my betta never even touches them.

Try dropping the food into the heater slot on your lid. That's what I do, and now the betta comes over there for food. I wait until the frog is on the other side, and feed both at the same time so the betta won't go looking for the frog's food.

I have a male betta (in the 10 gal with the adf) and a female (in a 25 gallon community). They have vastly different feeding habits, so just play it by ear and see what the betta does when you feed the frog.

Elliriyanna
03-16-2011, 06:27 AM
I cant wait to figure out my new living situation and see if I can move my ten gallon to my moms.