PDA

View Full Version : Good Tankmates for Hujeta Gars?

YaYgoldFish
03-15-2011, 03:57 AM
I've been searching everywhere on the net and on the forum but cant find the best tankmate for my 3 adult gars.

What are you guys's opinion? Im looking for something that doesnt get bigger than 6 inches and that is somewhat calm and peaceful but a little big.

Demjor19
03-15-2011, 01:29 PM
Hujetas are not actually a Gar, so this is sort of in the wrong forum. They are a type of characin.

Either way...They will do well with just about any calm tank mate that is too big for the Hujeta to eat and vise versa. It's all personal preference though. Do you want another predatory fish? Maybe look into African Butterfly fish? They stay pretty small, are calm, and are very cool to look at.

skullduggery1
03-15-2011, 02:54 PM
Leopard ctenopoma;s are good tankmates as are small geophagus (peaceful ones)cichlids.In a large tank,angels work,believe it or not so do discus.

YaYgoldFish
03-15-2011, 09:26 PM
I had a few I was thinking about, theirs a blue crayfish at my lfs and an armored bichir, i was thinking of gettting one of them but Im scared the hujetas are going to try to eat it.

Demjor19
03-16-2011, 02:16 AM
I had a few I was thinking about, theirs a blue crayfish at my lfs and an armored bichir, i was thinking of gettting one of them but Im scared the hujetas are going to try to eat it.

Bichir is going to get way bigger than 6" and the crayfish will more than likely kill the Hujeta.

daverussell122
08-17-2011, 08:16 PM
have read that a Anostomus anostomus (striped headstander) has been kept with them before

Crispy
08-18-2011, 12:56 PM
I like the geophagus idea with hejutas.. the bushfish would work very well IMO also.

maybe a fancy pleco (like a royal or phantom) to cap it off.:11: