PDA

View Full Version : Severum Colour

Juannie
07-13-2007, 01:27 AM
Well my little severum is still small, he's eating well - though he hides whenever I go near the tank. Is it quite normal for them to have no colour??? My gold one is magnificent and hangs around with my gold gourami - in fact they follow each other around. I've seen the stripes come out on my green one occassionally but not often and sometimes he almost looks see through.

HELP

Drumachine09
07-13-2007, 01:29 AM
What do you feed them?

Juannie
07-13-2007, 01:33 AM
NLS pellets, blood worm, flake, community frozen food, shrimp pellets, spirulina wafers (it's a community tank)

TowBoater
07-13-2007, 02:47 AM
I feed mine Hakari chichlid gold and frozen brine shrimp. Slow down on the blood worms, I know he loves them but it isn't the best for him, can cause bloating.

Juannie
07-13-2007, 03:30 AM
I feed mine Hakari chichlid gold and frozen brine shrimp. Slow down on the blood worms, I know he loves them but it isn't the best for him, can cause bloating.

Thanks for that, they only get blood worms once or twice a week and with so many kribs he doesn't get to eat too many (I have to watch what he eats so he gets enough). I might try the brine shrimp tho.

Does anyone know about the colour though? Is it normal for him to regularly have none?

btate617
07-15-2007, 11:37 PM
One of my severums never had much color in my tank, I traded him away to another guy and it colored right up for him. It could just be something as simple as the "pecking" order in your tank.

TowBoater
07-15-2007, 11:43 PM
My severum is the boss in my tank. He is dark dark.

Drumachine09
07-16-2007, 01:21 AM
I dont know what it is about severums, but mine seems to change colors alot. His neon looking squiggles are always there, but his body color and stripes tend to fade and appear at hs will. I noticed that if i put in a few baby guppy fry for him to "play with", his colors brighten up, and his eyes get even more red. After he eats, his colors dull out.

Right now i am feeding him

Hikari Cichlid Gold (Large pellets)
Hikari Cichlid Staple (Small pellets)
Tetra-Color (Flake)
Tetra-Min (Flake)
Tubifex Worms (Cubed)
Krill (Dried)
Blood Worms ("Packed in a nutrient rich gravy")

He has quite the variety of good, healthy foods, great water quality, and a low stress enviornment.

In short, i dont think its really anything to worry about, unless you notice a sudden, drastic color loss.

TowBoater
07-16-2007, 02:05 AM
Dru, not trying to go against you but Brine shrimp are better for them. That looks fine but if you would supplement that blood worms with frozen brine, he may do better. Sounds to me that when they get excited, they get darker.

Drumachine09
07-16-2007, 02:57 AM
Dru, not trying to go against you but Brine shrimp are better for them. That looks fine but if you would supplement that blood worms with frozen brine, he may do better. Sounds to me that when they get excited, they get darker.

Thought about doing brine shrimp, but i dont have enough time/patience to start a new batch every 24 hours or so. I dont feed them very often, infact, i dont think i have given him any for about two weeks. Ive only got 3 more servings of it (i got them free with my tank), and they are quite expensive, so i dont think i will buy more.

He REALLY loves the krill though. He lets me hand feed them to him.

TowBoater
07-16-2007, 11:39 AM
Ok, from time to time is ok. Try frozen food, my severum goes crazy for frozen brine shrimp.

Drumachine09
07-17-2007, 01:26 AM
I just got some shrimp pellets today for free. One of my friends fish wouldnt eat them, so she gave me a 99% full can of them. Bruce loves them!

Juannie
08-02-2007, 01:33 AM
I'll try the brine shrimp, he's still feeding really well but is almost "see through" sometimes, he rarely has colour and has hardly grown, maybe he's a freak because my gold one which is younger is 4 times the size - very odd.

TowBoater
08-02-2007, 01:44 AM
I feed Brine, Mysis, and beef heart with blood worms once a week and I might throw in a little formula 1 sometimes. I have meaty carnivore I feed some, I got light on the beef heart as well.

Juannie
08-02-2007, 02:10 AM
what is mysis and formula 1?

TowBoater
08-02-2007, 11:10 AM
Mysis is another type of shrimp. Formula1 is a mixture of a lot of different foods to give them variety. Mysis is my favorite thing to feed because my angels will rub against my hand and stuff as I am trying to get it to start falling apart.:ezpi_wink1:

Juannie
09-05-2007, 02:23 AM
I am really stumped with this little one, it is just not growing, every now and then i see light stripes but in 9months it has barely grown, is this normal, could he be a miniature? He eats well still though is shy - but my gold one who is 4 times the size is just a shy - though he grows well! This has me totally stumped!

TowBoater
09-05-2007, 02:44 AM
I have no idea, what is the tank size again? What food are you feeding? Mine has grown from 2" to 5-6" in 3 months.

cocoa_pleco
09-05-2007, 02:51 AM
mine hasnt grown at all but i think mine was a adult. does he have the half-bars and not all the bars dark? i remember someone had a tank movie in the video section and theirs was like that, it shows not stress but a bit of displeasement. mine doesnt do it anymore. i dunno whats with yours. got any pics?

Juannie
09-05-2007, 02:59 AM
OK he's in a 4 x1x1 foot tank with lots of hiding places. He's pretty much white - no colour at all these days except on his tail and fin but occassionally it gets some dark bars showing then as soon as I go near the tank - GONE again. He eats NLS pellets, shrimp pellets, occasional bloodworm, cichlid flake, spriulina discs. My gold severum is growing fine so I can't understand why this one just doesn't grow.

cocoa_pleco
09-05-2007, 03:07 AM
sounds like hes in top conditions, so maybe theres something freak medically wrong with him. as long as he eats hes fine, i think he may actually be a handicapped severum

Juannie
09-05-2007, 03:08 AM
Cool now I'll name him "DOOFUS" - he seems fine, he's always eating and popping in and out, my gold severum doesn't harrass him - he's a bit of a scardy cat himself. They're being up graded to a 5 x1x1 foot tank shortly so that'll make them happier again!

Thanks for the help!

cocoa_pleco
09-05-2007, 03:12 AM
no problem, i think hes just physically handicapped. ive seen handicapped gold barbs with missing bottom jaws and so on, so its actually a bit common. just like people, no fish are perfect

TowBoater
09-05-2007, 11:33 AM
Try frozen or live food, that should bring out his color. When I feed mine ghost shrimp it really darkens him up.