PDA

View Full Version : Oh no! Snail Emergency!

Zerileous
07-13-2007, 12:55 AM
Ok, so I think one my my snails was seriously injured by the filter intake. These are the larger apple/mystry snails (like ping pong ball size). Anyhow, I was running my Aquaclear 30 at full speed (150gph) when I noticed a snail on the intake with a significant portion of his body on the intake. I immediately turned the filter to its lowest setting, and waited to see if he would move. Since he wasn't moving, I unpluged the filter and pulled him away from the intake. He curled up almost closing his trap door, but he looked almost like he was in fetal position. Right now he is sitting on the aquarium floor and not moving much. Is there anything I can do for him? How long should I wait before euthanizing if it comes that that?

please help!

RobbieG
07-13-2007, 01:03 AM
Give it some time - he's probably just completely exhausted and will be fine in a while.

Zerileous
07-13-2007, 01:18 AM
I hope you're right!

edit: he seems to be improving. The trapdor is now fully closed.

RobbieG
07-13-2007, 01:54 AM
Good luck to him!

Dave-id
07-13-2007, 02:23 AM
He just sounds spooked to me too. I've had snails close up for over a day, then eventually open up and become healthy and active again.

Rue
07-13-2007, 03:25 AM
...he might also be bruised...give him time to heal up...

Zerileous
07-13-2007, 04:19 AM
yeah, he seems to be making a good recovery, out of his shell and moving around now!

thanks for reassuring me guys.