PDA

View Full Version : Live plants

HJM
03-13-2011, 10:39 PM
We bought some crabs and just learned they need salt in the water. Will it hurt my live plants?

TypeYourTextHere
03-13-2011, 11:37 PM
What kind of crabs are they? are they saltwater crabs or fresh water crabs?

HJM
03-14-2011, 12:36 AM
Fiddler crabs and red claw crabs freshwater.

geowashlaw
03-14-2011, 12:56 AM
We bought some crabs and just learned they need salt in the water. Will it hurt my live plants?

What fish do you have in the tank? Sustained salt levels can be bad for freshwater fish.

HJM
03-14-2011, 01:30 AM
I understand that freshwater tanks benefit from aquarium salt added. But have gotten conflicting info on the effects on the live plants in the tanks. What do the keepers here know about the salt and plants? Thank you so much for any and all info. And respect this site for competent knowledge. Again, thank you.
:ssmile:

KatzeSlaugen
03-14-2011, 03:03 AM
salt needed for saltwater/brackish fish is different than salt used in freshwater. the only time i add salt to freshwater is to treat for disease or symptoms. hasnt hurt any of my plants yet

johndoe222
03-14-2011, 04:43 AM
What kind of crabs are they? are they saltwater crabs or fresh water crabs?

Nearly every aquarium crab is brackish. If their not then their saltwater. To my knowledge there is no freshwater aquarium crab.

TypeYourTextHere
03-14-2011, 07:14 AM
Nearly every aquarium crab is brackish. If their not then their saltwater. To my knowledge there is no freshwater aquarium crab.

I know nothing about crabs, so i was generalizing them.

SunSchein89
03-15-2011, 03:42 AM
At petco, I've been putting some of the plants in the fish tanks which constantly have the cups of freshwater salt in them. Most seem to do alright. The constant moving and everything, plus the lack of proper lighting, probably doesn't help much, but there are a few anubias and bamboo that I know have been in there for long periods of time with no apparent harm.

Salt used to make brackish water, would most likely be a different story, though.

Cermet
03-19-2011, 08:17 PM
I have no proof but my own experience but salt tends to kill fresh water plants; that said, some salt for a short time will not do any harm that you should see but that will not help the crabs. Appears you need to choose between them:scry: .