PDA

View Full Version : Anchors for Stem Plants

jessfish
03-13-2011, 01:55 AM
k so i bought hornwort & cabomba - both are in QT with my new goldie bc i won't have time to put them in main tank until Thur.

I have little bunches (3-4 stems each) lightly tied with elastic...i noticed the plants dont look as happy today so i moved some sand from my tank to QT & put the cabomba in the sand...i took one piece & put it in main tank...

Can i continue using the elastics as anchors?

Any suggestions on better/hosehold items i could use as anchor?

Or even really cheap things that work as anchors for these types of plants?

Ticklemekevin10
03-13-2011, 02:08 AM
Use pool filter sand in my tank and the sand itself holds down mine

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-13-2011, 02:19 AM
Drill a hold in a soda (pop) bottle cap just large enough to admit the stems without the rubber bands, then, with the cap upside down, pull the stems through the hole and put the rubber band back on. Then bury the cap in the sand. since the cap will be upside down in the substrate, it will be filled with substrate and act as an anchor.

jessfish
03-13-2011, 02:54 AM
I wonder if I can come up with a bunch of bottle caps-thats a cool idea

I have pool filter sand but was thinking i'll get more since there doesn't seem to be enough to hold one short stem of cabomba LOL

with pool filter sand last time i got it i rinsed it outside really well, i've read it doesn't need to be rinsed or maybe that it doesnt need to be rinsed that well...Do i need to rinse it? (winter so i can't d it outside)

Good ideas so far...keep them coming please!!

sphingo
03-13-2011, 06:41 AM
I just got some camboda and will go rob the recycling bin for caps tomorrow, but I was wondering if there was a limit to the number of camboda roots that can go through a single cap. I thought I had read somewhere that if you kept to many of the stems together they could rot?

DrNic
03-13-2011, 02:30 PM
I never liked using plant anchors. Once the plants get rooted the anchors can sometimes choke the plant and cause it to die and pop up. If you can get the plant under your gravel/substrate in the shape of an L it will hold down better. Just be careful not to snap off the stem. Alternatively, get a small pot of sand in another tank (maybe your QT tank) and keep the lights on HEAVY. The sand will keep the plant down and the light will induce roots to grow. Once the plant has roots transfer it into the tank and it should stay down better if you spread out the roots when you plant it.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-13-2011, 05:48 PM
Even better than using anchors is a technique employed by people like Takashi Amanno. His advice on stem plants, and just about any other plant, is to use a pair of tweezers and push the plant into the substrate at a 45 degree angel and pull the tweezers out at the same angle.

jessfish
03-13-2011, 05:54 PM
a 45 degree angel sounds like something i could do (until i decide on more substrate or not)

I was worried about the same thing with the bottle caps i dont want the plants to rot...& once the roots start to grow how do i get them out of the cap without ripping a lot of roots off...

I stuck the cabomba in sand in QT last night & they are all still stuck - but the current is diff in my 46g - I am worried they could die (in QT)...could just be that im new to plants...but they are not standing up the way they were,they are a little bent over at the top...im not sure what people mean by plants 'melting' i thought that meant leaves start coming off - thats not happening.

**When I bury the stem plants how deep should the subtrate be (to hold them down & to help them grow some roots) is the idea to cut some of the 'braches of leaves' off so i have an inch or 2 to bury?

Strider199
03-13-2011, 09:49 PM
When I buried my Cabomba I stripped about 1 1/2" of leaves off the bottom so there was enough to get down in the substrate. Cabomba's really dont like a current I found out so try to find a place out of the filter's stream to plant them. Mine came with lead wrapped around the stems which I took off before putting them in my tank. Great anchors but Lead is bad.

jessfish
03-13-2011, 10:00 PM
When I buried my Cabomba I stripped about 1 1/2" of leaves off the bottom so there was enough to get down in the substrate. Cabomba's really dont like a current I found out so try to find a place out of the filter's stream to plant them. Mine came with lead wrapped around the stems which I took off before putting them in my tank. Great anchors but Lead is bad.

When u say they dont like the current - do u mean that they will float away?

I have a piece of driftwood that I can use as a wall to block some of the currnt, but the spot I want to put them does have a bit of a current - I'll have to see how they do when I get more sand in the tank as well.

Strider199
03-13-2011, 10:21 PM
Ya I meant they float away as well as kinda stay sideways which just didn't look right. I found a spot near the back of my tank between the filter intake and exit which was calm enough for one bunch of them. I discarded the other four bunches due to the current. Seems the leaves seem to come off the plant and get all over the filter intake when they are not happy.