PDA

View Full Version : Choosing lighting for "coldwater" 60g tank

Vihaga
03-11-2011, 08:32 PM
So, I'm getting back into keeping aquariums after years without one, and I decided to try my hand at live plants. Currently I'm running a 25 gallon and a 30 gallon with Coralife T5 strip lights (http://www.bigalsonline.com/Freshwater-Aqualight-T5-Series-Double-Linear-Strip-Light_7424513_82.html). They were inexpensive, and at the time I wasn't sure whether I was going to be able to keep live plants at all, but so far I've been able to grow java moss, anacharis, wisteria, moss balls, an onion plant, banana plants and anubias successfully (ie. the plants have been in the tanks for a while and are exhibiting significant new growth). All pretty easy plants, but I'm just starting out. :-) I'm using fluorite substrate under gravel or coarse sand, depending on the tank, and I'm using Seachem Flourish.

I've added a 60g tank (48Lx13Dx23H), and I'm using it as an unheated tank with white cloud minnows and dojo loaches, and I'd like to plant it as an East Asian river biotope tank. Suggested plants (and light requirements, according to the site) for this setup are onion plant (moderate light), water sprite (high light), hygrophilia (high light), a couple varieties of crypts (med- high light), and tiger lotus (high also). Now, right now the tank has truly awful lighting (the hood that came with the tank) and is planted anacharis, a moss ball, java moss, and a banana plant. The java moss and anacharis are growing like crazy, but I'm planning to replace everything in the tank with the species underlined above.

So, to my questions: What kind of lightning would you suggest for a 23" deep tank? Is there a good site where I can find out what lights will meet my WPG requirements? Are there any brands that you guys really like?

Also, does it matter that the tank is unheated?

I'm kind of clueless here, and I want to get it right the first time.