PDA

View Full Version : BristleNose Question

BiGBlak
03-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Right now my LFS just got some BN plecos in! this is rare i havent ran into any BN since i started the hobby Last Year and im excited but i have some questions. Im going to have a piece of driftwood in my tank thats the majority of my tank and i was wondering if i would get away with getting two of them ? The tank is a 40 Breeder Rainbowfish community with Corys. Natural Gravel and 3 AC30s and a wave maker. I know i can push two of them in that tank but will i run across agresion ? i never owned Plecos before THNX.

Brhino
03-11-2011, 06:27 PM
you should be fine. They're not very aggressive.

BiGBlak
03-11-2011, 06:33 PM
OK good . Just got to wait until they get out of QT from my LFS and im going to get 2 of thos puppies. I like that they do that gives me a better peace at mind when buying fish from there because all there new fish they dont sell for two weeks. Its funny how i find it rare to find some but yet they are so common everywhere else lol. I wish he had got albino long fins tho but these will do .

Rue
03-11-2011, 06:35 PM
BNs are adorable...get a male and a female. I did...but the female didn't make it. I wasn't too upset...my tank isn't quite big enough for two...but still...

BiGBlak
03-11-2011, 06:39 PM
BNs are adorable...get a male and a female. I did...but the female didn't make it. I wasn't too upset...my tank isn't quite big enough for two...but still...
yout talking about your 25 ? how do i sex them ? he has about 15-20 ...

Brhino
03-11-2011, 06:43 PM
mature males have bristles on the sides and top of their head. Females have no bristles at all, or only a few on the side. However, males don't grow bristles until they're older, at least 2.5-3". So, if the store only has smaller ones, you won't be able to tell.

BiGBlak
03-11-2011, 06:52 PM
Yea the ones my LFS have are small like 2-2.5 inches . guess its going to be a lotto pick i guess ... Also im cleaning my driftwood from when i had it in my tank before and it grew alot of algae and som hair type of stuff and ive been scrubbing it last night and today it dried up a bit and i still have a few green ( algae i suppose) spots . should i totally get rid of that or since im getting my new BNs this weekedn or next week should i leave them a little something to do work on when they are introduced ?

Rue
03-11-2011, 06:54 PM
yout talking about your 25 ? how do i sex them ? he has about 15-20 ...

Yes...in my 25 g. But as brhino said...the males have bristles...if they're not fully mature - but getting there...check for 'bumps' coming on the older males vs. a larger fish with a very smooth 'face'. No guarantee, but you might up your odds of getting a pair...

BiGBlak
03-11-2011, 06:59 PM
im going to get the guy to help me get the best chances of getting a pair.

Cermet
03-12-2011, 02:01 AM
Unless the wood takes up a large water volume, I don't think it matters. The biofilter is the key. If you have reserve, go for it - most people like them and they are very laid back, like cories. :hmm3grin2orange:

gadget228
03-12-2011, 11:42 AM
Keep in mind that if you do get a male and female that they will breed a lot. Guppies are supposed to be fast breeders but at times I think BN outdo them. My pair have been breeding for around six months and I have over 100 fry that I have to find homes for... :14:

Cermet
03-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Keep in mind that if you do get a male and female that they will breed a lot. Guppies are supposed to be fast breeders but at times I think BN outdo them. My pair have been breeding for around six months and I have over 100 fry that I have to find homes for... :14:

Offer some on discus forums - most discus keepers want BN big time and value them over many other types.:hmm3grin2orange: I would think many would be happy to pay for shipping and handling (lets be fair here, handling is a pain and needs to be paid for, too.) One discus site/forum is: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forum.php

BiGBlak
03-13-2011, 12:56 AM
I have been looking at some youtube vids typing in the search box " BN plecos" and i seen a few BNs that reached well over the common 5inch mark alot of websites list them as. Was that because they where in a tank i would say 100+ gallons ? i dont want to get two with the fear that they might both grow well over what i thought they maxed out as which was 5-6 inches... I know there are different species of BN plecos so should i check that out ? the ones my LFS got seem to be the basic BN the black ones with white spots. do those have the ability to reaching 8-9 inches as i seen on youtube? they look the same ? or does the tank size come in the equasion on how fish can grow larger depending on the size of the tank?

Alasse
03-13-2011, 01:06 AM
I have a fully mature Peppermint BN at 6 inches
http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee514/BecLeeFotos/Fish/th_Adonis26thFeb2011.jpg (http://s1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee514/BecLeeFotos/Fish/?action=view&current=Adonis26thFeb2011.jpg)

I have had a Common BN & an Albino (no pic of this one), also fully mature at 6 inches
http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee514/BecLeeFotos/Fish/th_Herc14thApril09.jpg (http://s1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee514/BecLeeFotos/Fish/?action=view&current=Herc14thApril09.jpg)

They have not exceeded this length, regardless of tank size