PDA

View Full Version : HELP...need advice

jessfish
03-11-2011, 06:21 PM
So today i went to petsmart to check there supply of plants - i wasn't planning on buying any until next week - but they just got a shipment in so I am a proud new owner of a cabomba & a hornwart & they are nice big bunches!!

How do I clean these before they go in the tank - they are actually going in my QT tank for a week since it is set up anyway & I have a lonley scared goldie in there...

With the anubias i used a solution of water & a tiny bit of bleach to get rid of possible bugs...but im not sure yet if hornwort & cabomba can handle that...

please help!! :help:

the cabomba might be fine since it was brand new out of the shipping box & still wrapped up but the hornwort was already in the tank & a snail fell off it when it was moved..so i want to make sure there is nothing else. :19:

jessfish
03-11-2011, 06:24 PM
One other thing i just noticed the cabomba doesn't seem to have much of a root system (both plants r in sam bag so hard to tell) but it has a metal thing around it keeping it together...should that stay?

dragoonwoman
03-11-2011, 07:09 PM
Take off the metal weight wrapped around the stems - it causes the plants to rot at that point. Take them out of the bag, too.

All the plants will do better if you separate them somewhat, so the light can get to all the leaves. Otherwise they'll drop a lot of them.

As far as snail removal, I'm not sure what the best "dip" would be. I've used a bleach solution on mine, but you MUST measure the bleach carefully and keep close watch on the TIME they are in to soak. Too long will kill the plants. I've used very salty water as a dip as well - regular table salt, not marine mix. Again, timing is important or the plant will die.

If you have a friend with a loach, the snails would be food for it. That's one way to get rid of snails that won't harm the plants at all, but it's not always an option. Just a thought.

If you check the Plants section here, I'm sure you'll find something about plant dips and snail removal.

jessfish
03-11-2011, 07:16 PM
thanks, ya i took them out of the bag & seperated the cabomba but i'll take the metal thing off & use elastic for now until i figure out a better holder...or will they stick in the sand substrate ok? (they're in bare bottom tank right now)

the hornwort was coming apart amyway so i'll split that one up a little more since its quite big

i rinsed them with water & there doesnt seem to be any snails yay...big improvement from when i got the anubias which was covered in snails & snail eggs

Cermet
03-11-2011, 11:38 PM
thanks, ya i took them out of the bag & seperated the cabomba but i'll take the metal thing off & use elastic for now until i figure out a better holder...or will they stick in the sand substrate ok? (they're in bare bottom tank right now)

the hornwort was coming apart amyway so i'll split that one up a little more since its quite big

i rinsed them with water & there doesnt seem to be any snails yay...big improvement from when i got the anubias which was covered in snails & snail eggs

Uuh, hate to tell you but that doesn't mean there are no snail because not seeing snails does not mean there are no... eggs! That is the issue in many cases. A salt solution is a bit safer on plants and esp. your hands! Bleach works better but kills plants far faster.

jessfish
03-12-2011, 12:47 AM
Uuh, hate to tell you but that doesn't mean there are no snail because not seeing snails does not mean there are no... eggs!

LMAO...so far one snail...size of 2 pin heads - now im trying to identify it to see if i can keep it...what type of water to salt ratio?

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?p=866343#post866343