PDA

View Full Version : feeding trouble

pleco broski
03-11-2011, 04:40 AM
i am new on here and hoping to get some help.

i routinly feed my 2 plecos algae wafers and occasionally supplement their diet with shrimp pellets. Latley i tried to get them to eat cucumber but they just wont have it!! anything i can do to help them along? or just keep putting it in there?

Thanks

Cliff
03-11-2011, 09:31 AM
It took my plecos a while to catch on to eating the veggies that I would put in the tank for them.

Keep trying. It may take some time

Keesayou
03-11-2011, 05:40 PM
Have you tried pushing an algae wafer into the veggie? Maybe that might work?

pleco broski
03-14-2011, 02:24 AM
i dropped a wafer next to the veggies last night and woke up and was surprised how much of the cucmber was eaten. also throught the day it seemed like my plecs had so much more energy!

Omi256
05-17-2011, 05:05 PM
I have 2 butterfly plecos in my 300 litre tank and I feed them blanched okra and blanched zucchini to supplement their diet of my tank's algae. They are doing great now but an interesting point is that when I fed them raw okra they did not eat it at all... after a week the snails did not even eat much so I tossed the raw okra in the rubbish and thought a bit about what was going wrong. I reasoned that if cooking helps humans digest food more easily, then the same must be true for fish. So I chopped up some new okra and blanched it in a small pot with a layer of boiling water, let it cool off in cold water and then fed it to my fish; the next morning, there was barely any left!

Thus, to get to the point, I recommend that you blanch (or steam) the vegetables that you are feeding your plecos before feeding them, for it worked wonders for me.