PDA

View Full Version : Maybe an Odd Questions???

jessfish
03-11-2011, 02:12 AM
I am doing all this reading on aquarium plants - my plan is to get hornwort & cabomba..as far as i know plants produce oxygen, oddly enough i have read things about aquarium plants that say they suck up the oxygen & produce carbon dioxide

I have a pretty overstocked tank as it is & I am just wanting to make sure that the plants DO produce oxygen rather than take it away...I have goldfish - they need loads of oxygen LOL I dont want the plants taking it all!

(I do have a bubbler & water movement from the filters)

Brhino
03-11-2011, 03:00 AM
plants produce oxygen, indeed. I have a vague memory of what you're talking about, but I'm not sure. I can guarantee live plants will produce oxygen and improve the water quality of your tank, though. Definitely no harm in it for your fish.

sphingo
03-11-2011, 03:53 AM
During the day the will suck up CO2 and pump out O2 since light is available for photosynthesis. However at night they consume the sugars produced from photosynthesis so they will have energy to grow. This takes up O2 and produces CO2. If you are really worried about O2 levels at night when the plants are releasing it you can always put in an air stone that runs only at night. I have an air stone that does this since I have a DIY CO2 system. This night process may have been what you were reading about. If you have any decent amount of water movement with the filter though it really shouldn't be a problem since O2 will be diffusing into the water in this process.

jessfish
03-11-2011, 04:12 AM
perfect! it's all coming back to me...i know i was taught this in school but that was a million yrs ago & now reading stuff on the net got me all confused & its aquarium plants so i wanted to be sure b4 i spend the money that i wasn't going to mess up my tank in anyway!

I have a bubbler(no airstone attached just the air tube with a ton of holes lol) running along the back of the tank it runs 24/7 im guessing that will be fine & cover any issues there could be at night?

sphingo
03-11-2011, 04:14 PM
It should be, Your really should't have any problems even without they don't put out that much and usually filter movement is enough. Glad I could help.