PDA

View Full Version : Cabomba, nice plant but;

Strider199
03-11-2011, 02:00 AM
I've had enough of it coming out of the Flourite and those needle type leaves floating around the tank after I re-plant them into the substrate. The plant grows rather quickly but I'm going out tomorrow to look for another bunch plant type to put in the back of my 55 gallon tetra tank.

I'm currently running LED's in two hoods which are rated at 6000k each. I use Seachem tabs for my rooted plants and API Leaf Zone liquid fert. for the others. No CO2 at this time.

Whats a good bunch type plant for the rear of my tank? Something that will stay in the Flourite without weights?

jessfish
03-11-2011, 02:04 AM
I'm thinking of getting a cabomba plant put i've heard from others that the little leaves fall of easily...i have a busy tank with 6 goldfish & snails that i am sure will play (or eat) the plant...

the amount of leaves that come off..is it really bad?
for a busy tank would it drive me insane?

Strider199
03-11-2011, 02:10 AM
Jessfish the little leaves aren't that bad except when I have to catch the floating plant and stick it back in the substrate. I dont like sticking my arm in when it's not needed so I use this long handled plastic multi tool which is hard to judge the amount of pressure I'm putting on the stem. This action causes the leaves to come loose and float throughout the tank. Not really as bad as I read before buying them but still some work.
It's the plant coming free of the bottom which is bugging me. With you having Goldfish (which root through the gravel) I think the plants would come loose unless you keep the weights on it.

Lady Hobbs
03-11-2011, 03:10 AM
Wisteria, perhaps. Pretty plant when grown out.

jessfish
03-11-2011, 03:27 AM
Humm...good point about it coming out of the substrate...i have sand so i might have to weigh it down a little.

& wisteria I saw that at one of the stores, looked a little ratty but im sure it would be fine & the leaves would not come off as easy,i've seen pics & it looks really cool

I might look into that too...maybe i could get it at a discount LOLthumbs2:

Strider199
03-11-2011, 05:42 PM
Wisteria, perhaps. Pretty plant when grown out.
I went to the local Big Al's this morning and their Wisteria looked like, well not good. But I did pick up some water sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides) and we'll see how it does. Requirements seemed comfortable; medium light, wide pH range, and easy to care for. I also picked up another micro sword for the front of the tank. I just can't get enough of those little fore ground plants.

Strider199
03-12-2011, 12:09 AM
Surprise!!! Believe it or not but my local Petsmart just got in some Wisteria which looked fantastic. I bought two bunches and they are now planted at opposite ends of the 55 gallon tank. Thanks Lady Hobbs for the suggestion. This plant does indeed fill in those empty spots since I took out most of my Cabomba.

WhiteDevil
03-12-2011, 02:09 AM
Cobomba is one of those stems you gotta weigh down or bury deeper, I never had the needles fall off the things but have had them surface for no apparent reason. They are a really nice, fast growing plant that is highly invasive(filter your waste water and dry it out, dont let any get down the drains). Mine turned red in my tanks.

totalaquariumaddict
06-17-2011, 03:50 PM
I think cambomba's are the way to go. I currently have 2 in my tank. It's true their leaves fall of easy but if you have some scavengers (like corys) you should be all right. Personally I like the natural look. Their leaves are quite pretty. My niece calls them Christmas tree plants.

Hat's of to cambombas! :22:

smaug
06-17-2011, 04:17 PM
broad leaf ludwigia. It establishes very quick and grows like a weed.

totalaquariumaddict
06-17-2011, 04:25 PM
Water wisteria's are pretty cool too. If you're sure you don't want a cambomba
you should do one of them. My water wisteria wasn't doing to well because in the pet store it was being choked by cambombas. But now it's recovering.:fish: :fish: