PDA

View Full Version : Where to get crayfish?

tootie123
03-11-2011, 12:03 AM
I wanna get a crayfish for my 10 gallon coldwater tank but I have no idea where to find them. Does Petco or Petsmart carry them?

Northernguy
03-11-2011, 12:58 AM
Yep! Most fish stores carry them.
Some will order you one.

tkdracer
03-11-2011, 01:45 AM
Ah, just roll up your sleeves and fish one out of the creek, lol. Just kidding they're underground this time of year. But yeah, most fish stores have them, my lfs has an albino looking one, they call it an apricot lobster.

Spidyman
03-11-2011, 02:49 AM
Petco and petsmart do not carry them you will have to go to a more specialty fish store. The problem is most crayfish do not handle well with cold water year round.

UncleWillie
03-11-2011, 03:12 AM
Ugh. I've seen them in Petco before. Many times they come in with feeder shipments and are mostly Procambarus clarkii, and these are fine in a coolwater tank. These guys are dirt cheap, hardy and found in petstores nationwide. Not many crays are strictly tropicals - most are temperate, and will do justbfine with temps that are kept indoor tanks. Anyhoo, I like tkdracer's suggestion. Go to a creek and sweep through some leaf litter or flip rocks and kick into a net and you'll catch plenty. Do not catch/keep any burrowing species (any species that makes a chimney) as all are protected. Is this legal?-- it is if you do what my signature says! thumbs2:

PuddlesAquaFarm
09-16-2011, 08:59 PM
Not sure if this is the right place to say this, but if you live in North America I can sell you some Marbled Crays.

Trillianne
09-16-2011, 11:36 PM
I'd be mighty surprised if the OP hasn't found them since March when they made this post.

Bryan M
10-17-2011, 08:58 PM
Petco and petsmart do not carry them you will have to go to a more specialty fish store. The problem is most crayfish do not handle well with cold water year round.

petsmart here carries them, (well tehy only have what they call blue lobsters).