PDA

View Full Version : Plants for my tank

mikeDUDS
03-10-2011, 08:38 PM
Hey all,

After quite a bit of research I finally picked flora for my 38g tank :19:
I believe they all have similar requirements. Let me know what you think!

Foreground: Dwarf Hairgrass; Crypt wendtii
Middle: Crypt affinis or java fern; Crypt pontederiflora
Back: Crypt balansae

I also want to put in a Floating lotus, but I'm not too sure where XD.

I plan on picking up a full spectrum daylight bulb. Do you think this will be enough light??? Properly lighting can get so complicated lol. Thanks all!

Cheers!

Duds

p.s. sorry for all the scientific names, I'm not sure of common ones for all my selection.

Brhino
03-10-2011, 08:49 PM
telling us you're getting a "full spectrum daylight bulb" tells us about the color of the bulb (and it's a proper one at that), but nothing about the amount of light it puts out, which is what you're asking. What type of bulb is it, and what's the wattage? (it should be printed somewhere on the bulb itself if you're not sure).

mikeDUDS
03-10-2011, 09:12 PM
Ooops! Your absolutely right. I haven't picked one up yet (wanted a second opinion) but I was thinking of going zoo med.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/Fish_Lighting_Replacement-Lamps-Bulbs_Fluorescent-Bulbs_Ultra-Sun-Fluorescent-Lamps.html?tc=fish

Its a 24" bulb at 17W. The hood that came with my used tank only has a single lamp fixture. I am worried now that it may need replaced. 17W doesn't sound like its going to cut it for a 38 gallon....Should I be using the 2 watts per gallon rule? I read that on a planted tank website.

Cheers!

Duds

Brhino
03-10-2011, 09:26 PM
the "watts per gallon" rule is fraught with peril because different types of lighting put out different amounts of actual light per watt, and tanks have different dimensions, etc. Looks like you're looking at a T8 bulb, which is not as efficient as a T5 bulb. Overall I think you've got what would be considered very little light for planted tanks. I'm not familiar with all your plants, but of the ones I am it looks like their light requirements aren't too demanding, but even so I think you're going to need more light. Probably one of our plant experts can give you a more specific recommendation.

Also, only 24"? How wide is the tank?

mikeDUDS
03-10-2011, 10:06 PM
Ok so tank dimensions are 36" x 12" x 20"
I just remeasured the light that came with the tank and it is 24"
With the style of the hood the light fixture does not run across the entirety of the tank and its positioned over the middle a few inches in. Depending on what teh botanists find, I foresee a new hood in my future. Its ok though, for the price I got for everything for its just a minor setback.

Lol did all my research trying to get plants that would work together without even considering that what I already had would allow.
Thanks for steering me in the right direction mate.

Cheers!

Duds