PDA

View Full Version : mystery shrimp

mastermac2000
03-10-2011, 07:25 AM
was checking out my 80 gallon tank which currently has 20 or so guppy fry a sail fin molly a rainbow shark and a school of bleeding heart tetras and saw something that amazed me.. a 1 inch shrimp crawling across my driftwood... i have no idea how he or she got there i searched for another half hour and didnt see any more. could the shrimp come in on my plants like a snail does i have a bunch of those after getting jave moss and jave ferns.. i am just clueless about shrimp... it is mainly clear with red coloring so i am guessing cherry shrimp...was allready hiding when i got back with the camera.

Brhino
03-10-2011, 02:29 PM
I could see a shrimp hitchhiking on a java moss bundle, especially if it was a tiny one at first. Are you sure it's a shrimp and not a scud? Scuds are a lot more common hitchhikers.

toddnbecka
03-10-2011, 06:42 PM
Baby cherry shrimp hitchiking in java moss isn't particualry uncommon. More surprising that it survived long enough to grow.

mastermac2000
03-10-2011, 07:44 PM
Well however it got here its lucky to have survived the cycle all the fish are small enuf to not eat it now the rainbow shark is barely 2 inches

toddnbecka
03-11-2011, 07:10 AM
Size doesn't matter if the fish catch the shrimp soon enough after molting. Until the new shell hardens it could easily be picked to pieces.