PDA

View Full Version : Feeding a Betta?

wilcomama
03-09-2011, 01:11 PM
My daughter got a beautiful Betta as a gift. He is in a really nice 10 gallon tank. I have been giving him the Betta pellets and dried blood worms but I never see him eat! I just see the pellets on the gravel and the bloodworms still floating. I don't want him to die! He is really beautiful!!! Does anyone have any advice on what to feed this poor fish?

mikeDUDS
03-09-2011, 03:03 PM
My daughter got a beautiful Betta as a gift. He is in a really nice 10 gallon tank. I have been giving him the Betta pellets and dried blood worms but I never see him eat! I just see the pellets on the gravel and the bloodworms still floating. I don't want him to die! He is really beautiful!!! Does anyone have any advice on what to feed this poor fish?

Your menu looks pretty good, so my question is how long has he been in the tank? Typically after introducing a fish into a tank you don't start feeding immediately. Also was your tank properly cycled? Id check your water parameters. The additional stress can deter a fish from eating. And be sure to remove that uneaten food before it decomposes and fouls the water!!!! Hope this helps :ssmile:.

Cheers!

Duds

wilcomama
03-09-2011, 04:48 PM
The tank was properly cycled and the water tested fine. I kept other fish in it before the betta moved in. He has been there for about 3 weeks. He has to be eating something or he would be died right?

Rue
03-09-2011, 05:44 PM
They can actually live several weeks (I'm guessing up to ~3 months) without feeding...but odds are he's eating a bit if he looks healthy.

Be careful not to overfeed. Rule of thumb is to give them about the amount of food that's the size of their eye.

With the little round pellets, that's about 2-3.

kingkarter
03-09-2011, 05:51 PM
3 weeks:ssuprised: , my betta started eat with in the first week. A betta can live longer then 3 weeks with out food, if i am rembering correctly they can live up to 2 months with out food. Not 100% sure on that so you might want to w8 for some one to comfirm that.

What are the water parameters for the tank?
What filter do you have?
How long has your tank been set up?

flydustydawg
03-09-2011, 06:18 PM
I would second the advice already given here. One more thing that has not been brought up yet is what did they feed them at the store. Did you buy him form a big box store or a LFS?

Maybe you could find out what he had been eating at the store and try that same food. Bettas arent known to be supper picky eaters though. How much are you feeding him at one time?

Cyberra
03-10-2011, 03:59 AM
Bettas generally aren't very picky... Though I've got a couple of exceptions *looks at tanks* A friend of mine, who also keeps bettas, has a king betta with a taste for the pinhead crickets she feeds her baby lizards

~Col~
03-10-2011, 10:09 AM
My betta will only eat the pellets or blood worms if I drop them in one at a time and wait for him to eat each one. Fussy little thing!!

wilcomama
03-12-2011, 12:56 PM
Well he finally started eating! Who knew these guys had so much personalit:hmm3grin2orange: He is alot of fun to watch!

nmb7895
03-12-2011, 03:21 PM
If you want to give him a treat, I haven't seen a fish yet who wouldn't eat frozen bloodworms. Even the pickiest of fish seem to gobble them up.

Also, another good betta specific snack is some meat from a pea. Like, just cut a pea in half, scoop the meat out, and feed him that. My 2 bettas just devour peas, and they're good for their digestive systems.

Cyberra
03-13-2011, 01:26 AM
Well he finally started eating! Who knew these guys had so much personalit:hmm3grin2orange: He is alot of fun to watch!
I have 7 bettas, males and females, and no two have the same personality. Mine cover the scale from "hippie-calm" to "jumps at own shadow" to "picks fights with dust motes". They have personalities all out of proportion to their size ^^

wilcomama
03-19-2011, 02:52 AM
Thanks everyone for the tips! We have named him Barney and he is one feisty little guy! Just today he flaring at a tiny little snail in the tank, lol!!!!

toysrus
03-19-2011, 02:06 PM
I'm somewhat worried bout my betta eating habits too. In 2 days he only ate 1 dried blood worm, and 1 small flake. He's a multicolored (crimson/violet) crowntail. Since I put a mirror near the glass his activity has increased and since that increased his appetite should also. Now he floats around relaxed with his fins semi-flared more frequently,"because of the mirror". So I'm positive he's acclimated well to the new environment. But, in 2 days he hasn't taken a crap...:hmm3grin2orange: He's in his own tank so I keep fresh food available and keep track of how much too. My last betta ate food more often, but he was bigger and only a veil-tailed betta-fish,not that I know if betta types eating habits vary at all.

Cyberra
03-19-2011, 10:37 PM
They may have different fin forms but they're still the same species. They all eat the same. Try feeding your betta a pea. Just make sure to take the skin off the pea and feed him the insides.

toysrus
03-19-2011, 11:45 PM
Peas will choke them to death. Did you ever hear of a pet shop advising someone feed a pea which is larger than a betta's anal opening to cure an appitite? NO...because they have All types of food on the shelves and none of them have peas in them. Peas are for tropical lizards,turtles,birds, etc.... not fish silly.

Cyberra
03-19-2011, 11:57 PM
Peas will choke them to death. Did you ever hear of a pet shop advising someone feed a pea which is larger than a betta's anal opening to cure an appitite? NO...because they have All types of food on the shelves and none of them have peas in them. Peas are for tropical lizards,turtles,birds, etc.... not fish silly.
I said SKIN THE PEA. Then mush up the insides. The betta will take little bites. Peas are to bettas as beans are to humans; they clean the fish's insides and help prevent blockages that could otherwise be fatal. Some bettas love peas, while others are still on the fence about them.

toysrus
03-20-2011, 12:10 AM
Besides I have better things to do, like watching tv.

I said SKIN THE PEA. Then mush up the insides. The betta will take little bites. Peas are to bettas as beans are to humans; they clean the fish's insides and help prevent blockages that could otherwise be fatal. Some bettas love peas, while others are still on the fence about them. So just because my betta is new I should give him an enema? lol
Interesting thought! I've never heard of any fish eating a pea skinned or not.
posting a picture of a betta or any other similar sized fish eating a pea will promote the nutritional value of a pea for a fish's intestinal tract,not that I know how to tell if a fish has an intestinal tract infection or anything.

Cliff
03-20-2011, 12:15 AM
There is a lot of poeple that offer cooked and pealed peas occationally. It's pretty much like mush when it's like this. I've read a lot of info that states this is very healthy for fish.

I tried offering it to my fish (not bettas) a few times but most of them did not eat any so I stopped