PDA

View Full Version : store bought bogwood....ready?

kimmers318
05-01-2006, 02:02 PM
I did get my bristlenose plec.... couldn't believe I actually found one since it seems like I usually look, and look, and wait when I want something! I bought a small piece of great looking bogwood and started it soaking in hot water last night. It immediately sank....and I don't see any discoloration in the water. This to me seems like it has already been cleaned prior to sale, which is quite possible considering this particular store has been great so far...and $13 for a small "stick" isn't cheap! :lol:
Do ya think I would be safe to soak one more time (just as a precaution) then give it a boil later tonight after work and in we go?
BTW....Fugly, as we have named him/her has definitely lived up to it's reputation for cleaning! I had 1 stone structure that was getting pretty brown and it is almost completely clean now! I can see I will be feeding this little guy/gal quite soon because there won't be enough algae! At the $18 price 8O I was gulping when paying for it, but dang is he/she worth it! I just may want more :D

William
05-01-2006, 06:58 PM
Auch thats an expensie bristlenose. is i a regular or more fancy type?

bogwood in the stores are usually prepaired and if you allready boiled it and soaked it once I don't think you will have to do it again.

rollie
05-01-2006, 07:04 PM
store got bogwood is usually safe.

kimmers318
05-01-2006, 07:10 PM
Looks like a regular to me...still pretty small. They only had 4 of them, and the salesguy said they only are able to get them in a couple of times around this time of year, and get the regular bristlenose even less often! I looked at 3 other stores, and have been into countless stores without ever seeing any of these guys, I am pretty sure they would have caught my eye!
Thanks for the advice on the bogwood, that is pretty much what I was thinking, but always better to be safe than sorry!

CoryCat
05-12-2006, 09:40 PM
Can you identify the sex of your new found Fugly yet? I like the girlies, and have one called Hilda :) I found her in the lfs at £14.99, I don't know what that is in US monies though. They are great fish and not too hard to come by here, Hilda keeps my 55gal sorted, and as soon as a wafer goes in, you can bet she is right out on top of it chomping away :)

kimmers318
05-13-2006, 02:20 AM
Too young to even really see bristles growing yet so can't tell ya the sex. For as ugly as he/she is, he/she has become one of those that I look for everyday.
And by the way...the bogwood has been in for over a week now and no discoloration in the tank. Guess where I will be buying my bogwood from for now on! I saw some at another store that had suction cups added to it, I think it was driftwood though, which was kinda cool...am considering that for my 64 gal since the back is pretty bare and that kind of stuff would help fill it out.

rev
06-03-2006, 06:20 AM
Bn's also eat wood. It is necessary that they graze wood to help digestion. Good addition to your tank. Congrats on the finds. Fish & wood...