PDA

View Full Version : help with tank

lovingmyclown
03-07-2011, 02:48 PM
im thinking of getting a fluval edge tank or a biorb for 1 male betta for my office desk at home would these be ample for them

Abbeys_Mom
03-07-2011, 02:54 PM
I have always been a fan of the Fluval Edge. They are cool. I think it would be a great addition to any office space, as long as you have the ability to care for the fish at work.

funkman262
03-07-2011, 02:55 PM
I don't have any experience with the edge but isn't the purpose of it that you don't see any waterline? The problem with that is that bettas breathe air from the surface so if there is no air, it may die. You can lower the water level to overcome that issue, but that defeats the entire purpose of getting a fluval edge.

Abbeys_Mom
03-07-2011, 02:58 PM
There is always a space for air exchange. I think on the fluval edge, it's under where the light is.

lovingmyclown
03-07-2011, 02:58 PM
I have always been a fan of the Fluval Edge. They are cool. I think it would be a great addition to any office space, as long as you have the ability to care for the fish at work.
cleaning not a problem as my office is at home

Abbeys_Mom
03-07-2011, 02:59 PM
Mine too :). I missed that part of your post.

lovingmyclown
03-07-2011, 03:05 PM
Mine too :). I missed that part of your post.
ive always wanted a male betta but told i cant have one because i have angels is this true so keep seeing them in the lfs so getting one in my office lol

funkman262
03-07-2011, 03:08 PM
There is always a space for air exchange. I think on the fluval edge, it's under where the light is.

I realize there's a space under the light, but I still don't think it's the right tank for a betta that needs to breathe from the surface. It may become disoriented as it's searching for a place to breathe, just to be blinded by the light when it finally finds some air. A betta should be given a much larger surface area of air. That's just my opinion though.

Abbeys_Mom
03-07-2011, 03:09 PM
I generally keep male bettas on their own. I kept females with my gouramis once and they were fine, but male tend to get nipped. I use to have a small tank with a light that I kept in the bathroom, with a betta in it. They seem happiest on their own, or with a small apple snail.

funkman262
03-07-2011, 03:10 PM
I'm confused. What do angels have to do with getting a betta? Do you plan on adding angels to the betta tank?

lovingmyclown
03-07-2011, 03:13 PM
I'm confused. What do angels have to do with getting a betta? Do you plan on adding angels to the betta tank?
no i was just saying always wanted one in my community tank but i have angels the betta will be in a tank on his own when i get a new tank as i want one and cant im buying a tank so i can

funkman262
03-07-2011, 03:18 PM
Oh ok. It's not impossible. I keep my male betta in my 90g community tank which has a group of angels as well as schools of various smaller fish. I've never had any problems with any of them. Every betta has his own personality so this type of setup won't always work.

Goes to 11!
03-07-2011, 03:22 PM
I just got an Edge off CL [I actually only wanted the eheims in the ad but..]

I am not entirely sure what I am going to do with it, I may start a thread about that actually. [I like the looks of it but . . . 6G lol].

I haven't run mine but i think considering where the filter out put is in relation to the airspace available could be a concern. Other than that it would make a gorgeous betta tank.

Also, There are videos (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6azvxpsYlg) of betta in Edges on YouTube so people are doing it.

lovingmyclown
03-07-2011, 03:30 PM
I just got an Edge off CL [I actually only wanted the eheims in the ad but..]

I am not entirely sure what I am going to do with it, I may start a thread about that actually. [I like the looks of it but . . . 6G lol].

I haven't run mine but i think considering where the filter out put is in relation to the airspace available could be a concern. Other than that it would make a gorgeous betta tank.

Also, There are videos (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6azvxpsYlg) of betta in Edges on YouTube so people are doing it.
Kind Regards ive just convinced the wife too let me have one but she might not be too happy as ive ordered a custom made 300 ltr tank which is coming in july to replace my 190 ltr lol in for some quiet nights lol