PDA

View Full Version : plant identification pls

J-R
03-05-2011, 08:26 PM
just bought 2 of these and i dont know what they are. i was attacted to its oval leaves with red pigments.

http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp243/kamaruh/03052011541.jpg

Strider199
03-06-2011, 01:57 AM
Just a guess as I'm new to plants (but love the look in my tank),

Water Primrose
Ludwigia repens

Doesn't match the ones I've looked at but it's really close.

DrNic
03-06-2011, 02:54 AM
I'm pretty sure it's not a ludwig, but I've never seen anything like it before. If i had to guess maybe Rotala macrandra or Telanthera Rosefolia.

Where did you get it?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-06-2011, 02:54 AM
Definitely not telanthera rosefolia (Alternanthera reineckii). I've had that one.

J-R
03-06-2011, 07:26 AM
thanks for the replies all ^_^ ive bout this one from the lfs but i forgot what he called the plants.. i think ive heard him say a kind of rotala not sure though lol

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-06-2011, 01:51 PM
To be honest, those leaves don't look like submersed growth to me. Identifying aquarium plants can be a bit difficult without aquatic growth on them. Many times the emergent growth will look much different than the submersed leaves.

ArkD'Julie
03-27-2011, 05:25 PM
To be honest, those leaves don't look like submersed growth to me. Identifying aquarium plants can be a bit difficult without aquatic growth on them. Many times the emergent growth will look much different than the submersed leaves.

I'm fairly new to keeping fish, but I have a purple waffle (not aquatic, I learned after purchasing it), but with the above quote in mind, maybe it could be this? Good luck with your ID of it.

Julie

aldennbell
04-08-2011, 09:50 PM
In order to identify a plant, there are several features, leaves must be pointed out. The first is the overall shape. The leaves of some plants have a very clear shape, can be used alone to determine the plant. Most users, similar plants from other species. Therefore, usually require more information.

SunSchein89
04-08-2011, 09:54 PM
I also think it may be emerged growth, but I could be wrong. It's definitely not purple waffle, though. The undersides are BRIGHT purple and if it fades back, it's pretty much dying, which this plant is definitely not.