PDA

View Full Version : Angel babies

fishguy66
03-04-2011, 12:20 PM
Question................. I have a pair of breeding angels(1 silver, 1 half-black), the babies are now free swimmimng & eating Hikari 1st food, but when do I move them to the 55 I have set up for them?

WhiteDevil
03-04-2011, 03:07 PM
I usually move mine once they are about 3 weeks old in free swimming age. Once they are about a dime size with all their fins then I move them. I leave the smaller ones to get ate by the parents, the small ones out of the bunch are always culled, they never make it but a bit more then die.

How are the parents? really defensive still? Mine would break skin on my hands when I was cleaning the bottom, eventually I took a ice maker line and strapped it to a wooded dowel and cleaned the tank like that.

Good luck, would love to see some pics of the parents and fry once they color up.

Demjor19
03-04-2011, 04:34 PM
NO PICTURES!!?? Shame on you! :hmm3grin2orange:

Sandz
03-04-2011, 05:46 PM
Agreed! :worthless:

fishguy66
03-04-2011, 08:18 PM
I'll get on that once I figure out how to do it. I do have a digital camera, but I'm not really a tech-savvy person. Let me know how to do it, & I certainly will!

fishguy66
03-04-2011, 08:21 PM
I usually move mine once they are about 3 weeks old in free swimming age. Once they are about a dime size with all their fins then I move them. I leave the smaller ones to get ate by the parents, the small ones out of the bunch are always culled, they never make it but a bit more then die.

How are the parents? really defensive still? Mine would break skin on my hands when I was cleaning the bottom, eventually I took a ice maker line and strapped it to a wooded dowel and cleaned the tank like that.

Good luck, would love to see some pics of the parents and fry once they color up.
Yep, they will go after me if I stick my hand in the tank, but I just change the water w/ a long piece of siphon tubing(very carefully). How damn big were your angels that they broke your skin?

WhiteDevil
03-04-2011, 09:27 PM
11" from top to bottom but the male was a half wild and female was a wild. I wont own any other angelfish other then true wilds and at the worst F1's after having those two, she was meaner then me.

I bred mine in a 29g and once the babies were of size I transferred them to a 45 tall and did PWC's every day 3x a day and fed them 8x a day.
Once they were about 7 weeks old they were eating live blackworms with fury.

I raised mine on rotifers and BBS(frozen and live) for their fry foods and once they got a little bigger and more formed I fed them minced bloodworms(hikari frozen) and ken's egg flake.

They ate very fast and very aggressively each time. I tend to keep a few live bearers in the grow out tanks for free food, it teaches the angels to hunt and stalk as well as just gobble it up,lol.

fishguy66
03-04-2011, 10:21 PM
11" from top to bottom but the male was a half wild and female was a wild. I wont own any other angelfish other then true wilds and at the worst F1's after having those two, she was meaner then me.

I bred mine in a 29g and once the babies were of size I transferred them to a 45 tall and did PWC's every day 3x a day and fed them 8x a day.
Once they were about 7 weeks old they were eating live blackworms with fury.

I raised mine on rotifers and BBS(frozen and live) for their fry foods and once they got a little bigger and more formed I fed them minced bloodworms(hikari frozen) and ken's egg flake.

They ate very fast and very aggressively each time. I tend to keep a few live bearers in the grow out tanks for free food, it teaches the angels to hunt and stalk as well as just gobble it up,lol.
I am doing partials everyday(50 %). I feed the adults variatus & wag fry(raising myself), sm. mealworms & small earthworms, in addition to Tetra sinking bits. Any pictures of these fish? I have never seen angels that big. The biggest ones I saw were maybe 8", & that was in a huge aquarium @ the Baltimore aquarium. I am currently trying to figure out how to post up a video, will put up ASAIFIO, (as soon as I figure it out!)

WhiteDevil
03-04-2011, 11:16 PM
http://i35.tinypic.com/ja97o4.jpg

cell phone pic and both are dead, but I got 3 brothers at dime size from a petco about 45 minutes away day before thanksgiving, guy dropped em at their door that morning in 5g buckets. They grew massive fast.

fishguy66
03-05-2011, 01:45 AM
http://i35.tinypic.com/ja97o4.jpg

cell phone pic and both are dead, but I got 3 brothers at dime size from a petco about 45 minutes away day before thanksgiving, guy dropped em at their door that morning in 5g buckets. They grew massive fast.
NICE looking fish. Shame their not around anymore. Listen, you wouldn't know how to download a video to this thread from my I-Touch, would you? Like I said, I'm not very tech savvy, but would like to learn.

DrNic
03-05-2011, 02:04 AM
If the parents are doing an ok job with the fry you don't need to move them right away. When I was breeding I would wait 2 weeks before moving them into a grow up tank. As long as the parents don't eat them they tend to grow faster when the parents are around.

Here's a tip for moving them. Don't use a net, use a glass cup. Netting young fry can damage them causing you to have cull them later if they are deformed. Using a glass will allow you to scoop them out without touching them much and can greatly increase survival. They also don't get exposed to air as they are transferred between tanks.

fishguy66
03-08-2011, 01:00 AM
here is the url of my video on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGDvDSjKRkQ

I tried, several times, to put it directly on this site, but was unsuccessful. But I would like to thank all of those of you out there who tried to help me in getting this on here, but I kept getting an "invalid file" message. So, if you want to see it, here it is.

fishguy66
03-22-2011, 02:08 PM
:hmm3grin2orange: My pair of angels have spawned again, with the 1st spawn still in tank. I'm going to put 1st batch of babies in 55 galllon tank today, to grow them out & sell them, & also get them away from Mom & Pop( so they don't get killed). I will post a video of both tanks ASAP. The babies from 1st batch look like silver/ half-blacks.:fish:

Sandz
03-22-2011, 06:42 PM
I want pics!

:worthless:

fishguy66
03-25-2011, 01:14 AM
Well, I went down to my "fishroom" to check on my angels, & the pair ATE almost all of the 1st spawn & ALL of the second spawn. I don't know what precipitated this, but it truly sucks. I was able to save 3 of the 1st batch, who were hiding under the sponge filter. Damn!!