PDA

View Full Version : Possible to overfeed?

bob saget
03-04-2011, 08:39 AM
Is it possible to overfeed plecos? i used to only put in veggis during night time, but now i put it during the day too and he/or she seems very keen on it. The tummy is very round and plump...
Should I keep putting food in?

I will add some pics in a couple of days :)

Crispy
03-04-2011, 09:59 AM
fruits/veggies make plecos digestive systems very 'active'...lol... I wouldn't worry about it. constipation/bloat would come from other 'prepared' foods. one or two times a week feeding veggies is very good.

Irish2539
03-04-2011, 01:08 PM
Well I wouldnt feed the pleco veg twice a day every day... (Cant be good for water quality).

I just fed mine Veg twice a week and let him gobble up fish food the rest of the week.

jessfish
03-04-2011, 06:13 PM
how old is the pleco? when they are young they will (& can) eat alot - i would keep going with once a day - but that depends on the amount (I put a big chunck of zucchini once a day).

My pleco is a little over a yr old & can eat a chunk of zuch about 1.5in x 3in in 5-7hrs. If I gave more he could eat it, I dont think its possible too overfeed bc they do take breaks & leave the food.
I think more to concentrate on is how long the food is in the tank just due to how fast some veggies start to decompose.

Also I don't know if this is common for a pleco but mine seems to have growth spurts where he eats ALOT - like a half a zuch in a little over a day...he will eat more than normal for a few days & then not eat much for several days.

bob saget
03-05-2011, 12:17 AM
mine is about 2 years old, and around 15ish cm in length.

thanks for the replies guys. i will post some pics inna couple days :)

EDIT: and yes, i use zucchini. he used to eat some blood worms in the smaller tank, but in this tank, the platys eat the bloodworms instantly.

bob saget
03-05-2011, 05:29 AM
ended up making a video. hope you like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDuQKQcaZbg

Cyberra
03-05-2011, 05:33 AM
XD That is one hungry pleco

bob saget
03-05-2011, 05:34 AM
actually that zuchinni is only like 2 hours old. this is why i was nervous if he/ or she is eating too much.

glad you like it :)

Cyberra
03-05-2011, 05:42 AM
XD And the platies seem curious, too... They keep coming down to have a look-see. Have they ever tried to sample the veggies?

bob saget
03-05-2011, 08:35 AM
maybe incidentally, they seem more keen on the bloodworms :D

Cliff
03-05-2011, 12:58 PM
In thoery it is possible to overfeed veggies, but not likely. I know when I had my very first tank I overfed all different types of foods. You have to be really carful not to overfeed prepaired store bought food, as Crispy has already stated.

If your pleco looks overweight, develops a very large pot-belly you might be overfeeding. It did not look that way in your video but it was hard to tell. Or if your water quality drops (increase in nitrates) and/or you start getting more algae, these could also be potential signs that you might be overfeeding. After all, what goes in, must come out :ssuprised:

As long as you are not seeing any of these signs, and your fish are acting healthy and happy, I would not be too worried about it.

As others have said, feeding veggies is very good for your pleco. He/she will do very well if you are feeding veggies about 3 or 4 times a week

jessfish
03-05-2011, 06:06 PM
I agree with Cliff, I used to feed every few days but started feeding daily for a few reasons - one my pleco seemed to want/need more than i was providing at 1st & as he got bigger i noticed if i feed every few days or every other day when i put the food in the tank the pleco would go for it - but the goldfish would want to check out the 'new' thing & this caused my plec to get territorial with his food & he would charge at the fish...if i feed every day - sometimes skipping a day there are no problems.
I just change the size of the chunk of zuch if his belly is looking too round (or take the food out for a day)

Lab_Rat
03-05-2011, 06:45 PM
I feed zucchini or other veggies almost every day. It's not only the plecs (all BNs) that eat it, the other fish also eat them as do the nerite snails. The plecs also eat pellets and algae wafers.

bob saget
03-07-2011, 02:04 AM
made another clip of the OM NOM NOM. this time at a weird angle. thanks for watching and i will try not to spam my clips here anymore :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSF_FwdeE0s

Cyberra
03-07-2011, 02:38 AM
"I'm upside-down, and I don't care... why are you staring at me?" XD

bob saget
03-07-2011, 03:34 AM
haha totally. i used to tie the veggies straight onto the rock, but then i realized that he cant get at the backside, so thats why i leave slack :)