PDA

View Full Version : Growing oscar diet ideas

crackatinny
07-11-2007, 11:38 AM
Our oscar is getting quite large, and I feel the pellets are just not enough for him, so today I got a beef heart, he loved this, I only cut off slivers and gave them to him, but tomorrow I am going to mince it, with some carrot, peas and lettuce, throw in some dried shrimp, I will freeze this mixture in small icecube trays, does it sound OK?. I got the basic idea from a common recipe on the net for oscars, I just omitted chicken liver, and powdered vitamin tablets (did not want to risk the wrong dosage of the vitamin tabs).

Also, how often should I give it to him, I am tossing up on this between, pellets in the morning and 1 cube of above mixture at night, a cube every second day, and pellets on alternating days, or mix in some pellets to and give him a cube in the morning and one at night.

He will also continue to get an ocassional treat of bloodworms.

He is about 9 inches.

Fishguy2727
07-11-2007, 02:25 PM
It sounds okay, but I would stick with pellets. It will probably be cleaner and more nutritionally complete.

What pellets are you feeding?

crackatinny
07-12-2007, 02:52 AM
They are just a cichlid pellet our LFS sells in tubs, I think I will go with feeding the pellets in the mornings and beefheart/veg mixture at night and see how that go's.

Fishguy2727
07-12-2007, 12:52 PM
I would get them on NLS, it will be much better for them, even if it isn't the only thing being fed.

Lady Hobbs
07-12-2007, 01:10 PM
William has homemade foods posted in one of his articles. It lists the same basic ingredients as you plan to use but his is mixed in clear gelatin and put in ice cube trays in the refrigerator. The gelatin would hold it all together. Every bit of fat needs to come off that beef heart before grinding it. His was with some fish as well but I can't remember what kind. Just a basis piece of white fish I think.

I don't know much about feeding oscars but doesn't too much meat cause bloat and worms? You read so many different things and one site says one thing and another something else. I also read the more meat they eat the more aggressive they become. Probably another topic with bad information.

Rue
07-12-2007, 02:20 PM
Add some insects to their diet...once or twice a week give...

Crickets, mealworms, waxworms...all good!

In the wild, insects are a big part of their diet.

Nolapete
07-12-2007, 03:34 PM
Earthworms are easily grown and are one of the best foods you can give large carnivores/omnivores. They can also be freeze-dried. A friend of mine used to do it. I don't know the process as I alway feed my fish live worms.

If you want to add vitamins to your homemade food without worrying about overdosing, get VitaChem. It's easy to use and great stuff.

crackatinny
07-13-2007, 03:10 AM
Thanks for all the help, I made the mixture up last night, and I did actually put gelatin in it to bind it.

deckard_wa
07-14-2007, 05:08 AM
You could substitute the beefheart for kangaroo meat. It's basically fat free, and your Os will love it. Mine get home made food at least twice a week and they grew like weeds as youngsters. I always make sure that there's a crushed clove of garlic in the mix as its good for their appetite and some other health benefits. As a word of warning, corn should never be used as they can't digest it

Fishguy2727
07-14-2007, 01:07 PM
I had an oscar go from about 2.5" to about 5" in two months on just NLS and Hikari Cichlid Bio-Gold+.

salman
07-14-2007, 05:49 PM
Oscars will eat anything they see! They are like pigs. I have over 50 kinds of food and everything i give them they eat it.